We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it really that expensive in December?

South Wales
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it really that expensive in December?

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to Manhattan (Midtown), December 5th - December 9th this year and I've seen a lot of articles on the net saying it's the most expensive time to go etc.

I've got my flights and hotel so I'm not worried about that.

I was just wondering if "day to day" items/services are also inflated over this time of the year e.g.

Shopping

Bars

Restaurants

Extursions/Trips

A lot of it seems to say that the prices, especially in a tourist hotspot like Midtown, increase significantly.

Many thanks for your time,

Michael

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

You're probably paying more for your hotel than you would at many other times. No worries that lots of other things are more expensive. It's just more crowded.

Theater tickets may be more expensive for shows that do dynamic pricing (and I think many of them do now, at least to some extent).

If you want to have a few somewhat nice dinners out, making reservations ahead of time is a good idea. Most places take reservations only 28-30 days in advance, so think about whether you want to do that a few weeks prior. It's not absolutely essential, but it's helpful.

South Wales
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

Thank you for getting back to me, sounds good to me!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

Everything in the stores will be discounted to encourage holiday gift buying. Macy's will be amazing.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

Macy's will also be unbelievably crowded. Most things are just more crowded,not more expensive, but a lot of christmassy activities are just pricey -- the Nutcracker has no cheap seats, for example.

liverpool
Level Contributor
178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

Me and my daughter are going at this time and can not wait to see all the shop window & stuff x

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

If you have your flights and hotel, stop worrying. It is lodging that can get pricey because so many people want to be there. Duane Reed and your the local food cart will not raise the price of a bottle of water just because it is December. ;)

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

For the record: "Duane-Reade" is merely a local chain of drug stores in New York, named after two streets where the original store was between (Duane St. and Reade St, near City Hall).

And nothing except hotel costs go up, and fewer discount tickets to Bway shows seem to be available because they disappear so fast.

South Wales
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

That's great, thanks all. People were on about it on a couple of websites of prices outside of the hotel and flights going up so I thought it best to check.

Can't wait to spend some $ now anyway :-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

Like others above said, only hotels are more expensive. Christmas markets, Rockerfeller Center, and department stores will be much more crowded, especially Macy's for Christmas/Holiday shopping.

You'll have fun.

10. Re: Is it really that expensive in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:16