We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central park question...

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Central park question...

We have planned to visit Strawberry Fields and the Imagine Mosaic, walk through Shakespeare Garden, Belvedere Castle, wall along the Mall, and Bethesda Terrace area. I have no idea of the size of Central Park and I am trying to get a general idea of how long this may take to walk in total.Any suggestions?

Florida
Level Contributor
641 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central park question...

Look here. http://www.centralparknyc.org/maps/

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central park question...

As you can see from the map provided by C5L (above), you can spend a lovely afternoon (or a week or more), exploring Central Park. In addition to the points of interest that you have already identified, we also enjoy where for 30-40 minutes we can stroll through perhaps the most rustically beautiful part of the City….it is sort of like being in an upstate NY woods. For more information about the Ramble as well as the points of interest you have already mentioned, see:

nycgovparks.org/events/2014/08/11/central-pa…

centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attr…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ramble_and_Lake

centralpark.com/guide/attractions/ramble.html

CH

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central park question...

Central Park is 2.5 miles long (59th to 110th St. at 20 city blocks per mile) and about 1/2 mile wide (from 5th to 8th Avenue, at 3 numbered avenues per mile. So that's like 4 Km x 0.8 Km.

You know where you are by what city street you are near in the Park, like 72nd on the west side (near Central Park West, which is like 8th Avenue) for Strawberry Fields, or 82nd and 5th for the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 17:39
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central park question...

And the famous parts of Central Park are all south of 96th St. If Central Park were downtown Toront,o it would be: King to Bloor, and Bay to Jarvis, with the famous parts being south of College.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central park question...

So do you think I could see all this in a morning? Thanks for the great info and links.

Canada
Level Contributor
741 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central park question...

I haven't been yet, but when planning how much time to spend in Central Park I have been using Google Maps Engine to plot various walking routes through the park. It will tell you how many miles your route is and you can then look up how long it takes to walk that number of miles. Of course, you want to add on extra time for stopping in various places throughout the park, but you can get an idea of the minimum amount of time needed and go from there.

This is the chart I used to see how long the distance takes to walk at different speeds:

…about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/l/blmileskm.htm

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
83 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central park question...

Went by the Dakota (scaffolding all around it) and Strawberry Fields last week. The mosaic is very nice. There was a single red rose on it (maybe there always is I don't know), well worth stopping by.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central park question...

you could certainly see all those sites in a morning, or less depending on how much you linger in each place.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,358 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central park question...

Yes, you could see all that in a morning with some rest breaks. Sometimes you wander off on the wrong path and need to meander back to where you need to be.

Lots of benches everyhwere to rest or just watch the people.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central park question...

A simple route would connect your points of interest: start at Belvedere Castle (81st St.), go to the nearby garden, then south on the west side of the lake to Strawberry Fields/Dakota at W. 72nd St., along the southern edge of the lake to Bethesda, up the steps to the Mall and walk to the end, or go in reverse. You have to go up a vehicular ramp now closed to cars at W. 72nd St. from the West Park Drive to reach Strawberry Fields at the top and a little to the left. Two hours should well be enough unless you care to linger.