We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several questions for upcoming trip

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Several questions for upcoming trip

Hi Everyone

I've been to NYC once before with girlfriends and stayed in the Murray Hill area. This time with my husband we will be staying at the Loews Regency since we were able to get a good deal. I have a few questions.

1. How hard would it be to take public transit from JFK to the hotel? We arrive early on a Saturday morning around 8am. I've looked at various routes but can't understand which is the easiest, etc. Or should we just pay the $75 taxi ride?!

2. Any recommendations for dining in the area of the hotel - especially for breakfast? Best bagel place in the area?

3. Best bar in the area for drinks? (we're an early 40s couple)

4. Any interesting shopping in this area besides the major stores?

5. Are all the clothing sample sales only in the lower Manhattan area?

6. Since we are so close to Central Park what is a must see there? I didn't realize last time I walked through a small part of it that there are several areas to it. Perhaps we should rent a bike?

Thanks in advance for your help! Any other tips are much appreciated too.

Elizabeth

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
459 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

The fastest and easiest way from the airport is by taxi.

I'm not sure what you mean by sample sales in lower Manhattan. Here in NY sample sales usually refer to a sale bydesigners and manufacturers selling excess merchandise. Google sample sales.There are several sites that list what sales are available & when

"must see" is a very personal choice. A Central Park visit is certainly a very neat thing to do.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,930 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

There's not much great dining in your area. However, part of the fun of NYC is commuting to different neighbourhoods for better cuisine choices. Near your hotel, my go to place would be Fred's at the 9th floor of Barney's. Go for lunch or early dinner. Further down 5th Ave is Ma Peche a David Chang restaurant. And for a more dressed up meal with a very NYC crowd, I love La Grenouille, check out their prix fixe lunch.

Check out resident food guru, Ziggy's great blog: www.eatingwithziggy.com

For shopping, you are quite near the epicenter. Bloomingdales and Barneys are just blocks away and you are very near Madison Ave. home to all the designer boutiques. And 5th Avenue brings you Saks and many more. For cheap basics, don't miss out on Uniqlo, the Japanese clothing emporium: a better version of Gap. As to sample sales, there's a smattering around town, but with the array of great merchandise, I don't really recommend it.

IMO.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 04:27
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

The taxi ride will be more like $65 to $70, so it'll be cheaper than what you're expecting.

Central Park is way too big to see everything. Most people walk around the lower to middle section which has The Mall (very majestic old trees along an avenue), Bethesda Terrace, Bethesda Fountain, The Lake and Boathouse, Belvedere Castle.

The northern part of Central Park is much less touristy but just as nice. The Conservatory Gardens are very nice as is Harlem Meer.

Renting a bike in Central Park means you have to stick to certain roads. You won't be able to meander around the smaller paths and trails.

You can use this map to pinpoint where things are: http://www.centralparknyc.org/maps/

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

It's not a problematic trip by public transportation from JFK. Take the AirTrain from your terminal to Jamaica ($5 per person.) Go downstairs to the subway, buy your Metrocards, and take the E train toward Manhattan. Get off at Queens Plaza and, on the other side of the same platform, take the R train one stop to Lexington Avenue (& 59th Street.) Your hotel is at 61st and Park, so three short blocks from the subway.

You could also do this by changing from the E to the F, at Union Turnpike/Kew Gardens, 71st Street, or 74th/Roosevelt. The F will also be on the same platform as the E, and very likely on the same track. The F would take you to 63rd Street and Lexington, so the same distance from your hotel. The F station is a deep one, so you need to take elevators to get up to street level.

Either of these routes will work. You don't say exactly when you're traveling, so you want to check several days in advance to make sure there's no weekend repair work that would affect your journey.

web.mta.info/weekender/stationview.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

Racked.com is a good source for shopping, and they list quite a few of the sample sales around town.

http://ny.racked.com/tags/top

A sample sale can be anything from a roomful of leftover junk to a huge loft full of stuff you might actually want, with a wide range of prices, so it's a good idea to know if you're at all interested in the brand before investing time. Some have huge admission lines, some will make you check your coats and even handbags. They are usually from midtown down to Tribeca but can be anywhere the designer can get a space. Racked can give you an idea of what each one is like.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

For sample sales(and as stated, they can be all over the city), also look at The Choosy Beggar and Soiffer Haskin.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

Thank you so much for all of your replies - you have shared some great info!

8. Re: Several questions for upcoming trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 05:16