We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel to choose? (long)

So I have a bunch of different reservations.

I'm going with my mom and maybe other family will join, but it's just 2 of us for sure...Booked for late September, but slightly different dates (rates I booked not available for other dates). I like to have some space. I do not have exact dates I have decided on, but ideally I'd like to avoid anything about 25 C, so probably should go in late September or early October?

Booked:

Courtyard Manhattan Chelsea - Sept 19-28; family suite with 2 double beds + sleeper sofa. $ 260 per night pre-tax. Love the look of the rooms I've seen, although no pictures of the suite I can find to give me an idea. Read it's spacious enough for 4-5, but don't know what the size of the room is. Has mini-fridge and microwave. Don't love - 2 double beds and the sofa sleeper is only twin. Location is giving me some pause? Or is it okay

Affinia 50 - booked junior suite (about 500 square feet apparently, so it's BIG). Sept 27-Oct 5. 2 Queens + sofa bed, however, this is one big room, not a true suite. Also $ 260 per night pre-tax. Have some concerns about their service (or maybe the reviews are just whiny?), AC (also from reviews...not likely to be an issue, but we may get a hot day in September). Maybe slow interent (Ok, I don't care, but just being picky). Don't like that they charge for extra person in the room! This doesn't matter if it's just 2 of us I suppose, but if not, it will definitely be a factor. The location is really good IMO...like the proximity to Central Park. Already stayed at the Courtyard Midtown east nearby.

Residence Inn Midtown East - Sept 26-Oct 4. booked 1 bedroom suite with 2 queens and a sleeper sofa(queen as well). Like everything about this - location, LOVE the look of the room maybe more than Affinia, possible balcony in suite (yet to confirm that). Really well rated. OK, so room is roughly the same size as Affinia 50, but the living area is separate. Really like having breakfast and not having extra charge for additional people.However, this may be moot, as it's a lot more money- $ 337 pre-tax. Not worth it? This rate is also available for October, but only for a 1 king + sofa bed suite.

Another option would be the Courtyard Manhattan Midtown East - I can get a room with 2 Queens + sofabed for $ 260 pre-tax for Oct 3-13. That's just one big room. Smaller than the suites. Only thinking about this, because the weather may be slightly cooler and more pleasant during that time and there is less of a chance of heat.

I guess first I need to decide how many people will go... since that plays a role in part. However, that is up in the air. If more than 2 people, I think the Residence Inn Midtown East or possibly Courtyard midtown East would be best options, as I don't like extra person charges ... If it's just 2, I don't know! Love the Residence Inn option more and might splurge, but it IS a difference in $ if just for 2. Thoughts?

Edited: 01 August 2014, 23:10
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

>>>>like to avoid anything about 25 C<<<<

What does this mean??

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

25 degrees Celsius (not sure what this is Farenheit... 80s??). I.e. I would like to avoid hot weather.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

25 Celsius is 77F.......

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

I guess so. I just don't want a heat wave with days in the 80s and summer like heat. One day is okay.

Late October was very nice last year, but a little chilly.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 00:52
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

A good start may be to consider the importance of having a separated bedroom and living area, especially if you and your Mom might want to go to sleep and/or wake up at different times.

That benefit could trump a bunch of other variables and make your trip much more enjoyable. It will also help narrow your list :-)

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

Not having a separate living area is not an absolute deal breaker; but it definitely would be nice to have! That's sort of part for my reasoning for wanting to go with the Residence inn... The only two options for 1 bedroom suite would be the Residence Inn Midtown East and the Courtyard Manhattan Chelsea(only a twin sofa(?) in the living room there though). The latter I can only get the rate I have for Sept 19-28.It is cheaper than the Residence Inn at $ 260 per night.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 01:28
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

So, you don't want it hot and steamy or cold.

It's going to be easier to choose a hotel room than trying to predict the weather!

I think this has to be your own personal decision - each option has its benefits and drawbacks.

Good luck!

Edited: 02 August 2014, 02:32
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

I understand it will be hard to predict the weather in September. I guess early-mid October may be a safer bet. Is it typical to get a heatwave in the last week of Sept...

As for hotel choice, It's a personal decision for sure... just wanted to hear other people's opinions on these choices. Thanks for any feedback!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,747 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

Sept/Oct is really expensive. I don,t even see an option for the Residence Inn with 2 queen beds and the cheapest price I see for a king bed is double what you've quoted, so that's a seious bargain. Seems to me a 1 bedroom suite there solves all problems and has plenty of room should others want to join (and should you want them to). Why not see if the Courtyard can email you some photos of the suites. Do they have a kitchen? Do you care?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel to choose? (long)

>>>Is it typical to get a heatwave in the last week of Sept...<<<

Nothing is "typical" when it comes to weather - you just have to throw the dice and take whatever comes up - in the past couple of years the weather has been so unpredictable it really screws up the historic data - saying that and just going by experience of years past - October may be advantageous for your visit - or maybe not.

Go with the flow - as said, it's a crapshoot.

Poppa