We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

Is there any medical assistance available 24 hours near Times Square/ Port Authority Bus terminal? My son will be catching an inter-state bus to North Carolina after flying in from Australia and I wanted to know if there was a Dr available in case he needed some advice/assistance.

Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

If you're really looking for 24 hour availability it will need to be a hospital emergency room. I think the nearest will be at Roosevelt Hospital at 58th Street & 10th Avenue. HOWEVER, be prepared for multiple hour waits and huge bills. This is not a step to be taken except in a real emergency.

There has been a considerable growth in "urgent care centers," which are usually open into the evening, about 8 p.m. Open a Google map of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and "search nearby" for "urgent care centers." This is a much better alternative.

I assume he will be arriving with extensive medical insurance if you're asking these questions. He'll need it in any event.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

For minor ailments there is a "Dr. Walk In" clinic at the Duane Reade drug store near the bus station, but it is not 24 hours. http://www.drwalkin.com/

There may also be a medical clinic at JFK.

Is there reason to expect a medical problem?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,870 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

If you think he may be ill and still hasn't left for his trip, it may be a good idea to keep him at home until he recovers. Don't know where you reside, or where he resides, but hopefully he has insurance to take care of this emergency medical care as that can be very $$$$$ costly.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

There are City MD/Urgent Care centers at various locations; the one on W.57th Street or the one on E.37th Street may be the closest to Times Square. Both are open until 10 PM M-F and 9 PM S&S. For more information, see:

http://tinyurl.com/odf7jry

CH

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

There is Medrite Urgent care right by Port Authority Bus Terminal.

http://www.medriteurgentcare.com/

Also, there is Lennox Hill Healthplex. It is open 24/7. Top notch medical care and hardly any wait. It is only a 10 min can ride form Port Authority.

http://www.lenoxhillhealthplex.org/

Just like with any International travel , I hope he has travel Insurance.

My Canadian cousin had to seek medical treatment in UK last year. She had no travel insurance. She is now struck with a 6500 pounds ( almost US$11,000) bill which she has to pay or she could be denied entry into UK. Big lesson learned and I always carry Travel Insurance when i travel anywhere.

Manhattan is full of urgent care centers like Medrite or CityMD, where the wait is almost minutes and are not super expensive even if you don't have insurance. They are not open 24/7

In case of severe emergency the best is to call 911. He should have no problem seeking medical help in NYC.

Btw, NYC to NC seems like a loooooooong bus ride. Have you looked into train ?

Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

Thanks very much everyone for the information. "idrinkwater" in particular - Medrite Urgent Care would be ideal - thanks. Yes, he does have medical insurance but hopefully won't be needing it. Just going with a plan, in case......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

@Hol2013 Yeah hopefully he wont have to see a Doctor and everything goes well. Wish him a great trip to NC, it is a beautiful state and pretty scenic drive, but a pretty long one :).

8. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 22:05
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

Poppa, it seems that the OP is looking into as part of planning....you know just in case kinda things.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical help near Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal

Ach so!

Poppa