We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We came we saw...................trip report

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
We came we saw...................trip report

We loved it,ok i was hard to enthuse re; NYC ,but keep in mind i hate being around hundreds of people ( hence my dislike of times square ) our trip in may started with a rainy arrival on friday may 16,sadly our new york yankees game was cancelled,and i didnt realise we could exchange the tickets for a double header on the sunday so we missed out ;-( but it did allow us to visit central park with virtually no one in sight ,i absolutely love this "space " in a city dominated by its skyline this oasis was the perfect place for me to spend time and even in the rain on a friday night it was such a beautiful place to visit.Saturday may 17 we awoke to a beautiful sunny morning and after a buffet breakfast at the staybridge suites ( highly recommend this hotel in TS ) we headed off to the ESB to use our express pass,at $67 we thought this was the best pass we purchased for entire USA trip,we walked passed hundreds of people waiting to get in and went straight to the top with ZERO wait time,the views were spectacular and even though ive been here before its just as impressive with each visit,we then headed off to central park and spent hours walking in and around the park,the dakota building, strawberry fields,bethesda fountain and the boathouse were just some of the places we visited through this magnificent park ,at this point the itinerary had been thrown away and our NYC experience was about just going with the flow and enjoying the sights and sounds as we experienced them.Tonite we ate at the heartland brewery near our hotel and finished off the day at Times square,as stated i wasnt overly excited about TS but i guess it was an experience even though it was far too crowded for me.Sunday may 18 another brilliant day,lots of sunshine and off we headed to TOTR for our 9am timeslot,after checking out some iconic buildings including radio city music hall we again had ZERO wait time as we made our way to the top with a interesting elevator ride to the top,WOW is all i can say about this view,simply stunning on a sunny day,views of the skyline including great photo opps of the ESB and central park and although very distant the SOL and freedom tower,this as advised by many of the TA members is the best view i believe of NYC, after this incredible experience we then explored the surrounding area checking out grand central,spent another couple of hours at central park and just spent the afternoon taking endless snaps of some incredible buildings and ended the day relaxing at the hotel.Monday may 19 ,brilliant sunshine again today ,we headed off to castle clinton to collect our SOL crown passes ,we had virtually no wait time at all and passed straight through the security with no problems at all,i guess the key was getting to castle clinton early ( i think we got there around 8am ) this was the highlight for me,cruising out to liberty island and watching this majestic statue grow larger as you approach it is magical,after we walked around the island taking endless snaps ( as you do) we then started our walk up to the crown,sadly i only went part of the way ( hate heights and the phobia got the better of me ) my mate did go the journey,he loved the experience and it was on his bucket list, we had a tremendous time on liberty island and this is also an experience that is better each time you do it.After we finished our SOL,ELLIS ISLAND visit we then headed over to the 9/11 memorial sight,no barricades no security,no passes,the memorials are impressive and it seemed to me tourists treated it with the due respect,but it still had the atmosphere of an attraction opposed to a gravesite,nonetheless its impressive as a memorial.after our visit here we headed back to our hotel to rest up,must point out we never used the subway once,we did all our transport by taxi or feet.Tonite we walked up to broadway and checked out the famous theatres, and experienced a couple of pubs for a quiet drink and just enjoyed NYC at night. My overview of the city is definately purchase the ESB express pass,TOTR is a must,get to castle clinton early to pick up will call tickets,spend as much time as you can in central park and dont get too tied up with " set " itinereraies,there good to guide you but the go with the flow attitude we had after day one worked magically for us,cant thank the members on here enough for the advice given, idrinkwater,aynat,jenny r261,ter1413,poppa,warmwinds,momcat,brooklyn bridge,nyc whiz,frangipani,ellesdub,and i guess last but not least 4 days didnt even scratch the surface with what i wanted to do ,so at least 3 weeks just to get warmed up would be a nice timeframe,in closing had a magnificent time and thank you NEW YORKERS for being great hosts ,cheers john b

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,247 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

Very nice TR glad you had a nice time in NYC thanks for posting.

Newport, Oregon
Level Contributor
295 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

Wish I could of read this. No paragraphs.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

It sounds like you had a great time. Good for you!!

BTW.... I am curious. Why didn't you ride the subway? To the Mr and I, it's part of the NYC experience. #grin

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

Well, you might have gotten a taxi to Yankee Stadium had the game not been rained out, but you really would have had to use the subway for your return. What were you planning to do?

5. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 11:37
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

TEACHER 91, i guess because we were based in times square we were close to a lot of the attractions we wanted to see,the weather was magnificent after day one and because we both love walking we didnt really need to take subway, i have experienced the subway in previous visits,so with only 4 days in the city we just visited the places we felt comfortable with.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

Well walking is definitely a great way to see the City!

Thanks for the reply!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

I tried. I really tried. And I wanted to read this long awaited trip report. But, I just couldn't get through it. No sentence spacing or paragraphs. My eyes just couldn't do it. And I wish I could but just couldn't.

I hope you had a nice time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

Yes, we do Poppa but I'm with you and Karen. I stopped reading. Too hard. Shame as I like a TR.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We came we saw...................trip report

Sorry guys,i was multitasking at the time,i will repost my trip report again later with sentencing and paragraphing.