We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

Hello,

We have booked on booking.com our 9 night stay in november at Bridgestreet Worldwide 34th & Madison apartaments with no right to cancel or change booking.

Now I have found out, that it's illegal to stay in less than 30 days... Can You please confirm if I am right about that? I called to booking.com and they confirmed that it will be no problems and everything is totally legal. So I asked them to send me written confirmation that it's legal and everything will be okay. Booking.com said confirmation will be sent soon from their name, still waiting.

If anyone have some experience in this case, I would appreciate..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

bump

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

Is this the apartment? bridgestreet.com/S34_by_BridgeStreet_Worldwi…

The address is listed as: 49 East 34th Street, New York, NY 10016

I'm not sure if this is a legal hotel or not. Hopefully one of the experts will know.

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

Yes, it's that one. I hope too.. maybe someone can answer?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

If you try to book directly on the website listed for the apartment, it says a 30 day stay is required.

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

Yes, indeed. I called to booking.com support in Norway once more.

All they can say for now: we will call to hotel and ask if it's legal or not to stay in 9 nights.. if hotel says it's legal.. then I will not see my money and I will need to stay in there...

Booking.com referring to 387 happy customers reviews, who stayed less than 30 days from 2010 to 2014 year with no probems.. No one cares about laws in NYC?

Maybe that's why hotels.com, agoda.com and other bigger website don't let You to reservate apartaments in this building.. So booking.com still taking chances..

Edited: 03 August 2014, 16:39
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

So Booking.com does not think the 30 day requirement listed on the "hotel" website applies? Geez.

We do care about our local laws, but it is difficult to enforce as there is limited manpower.

Please report the address for operating an illegal (short term stay) hotel: http://tinyurl.com/mepbg8a

it looks as though this place *might* be legal for longer stays - but not shorter ones - as they seem to advertise as extended stay "corporate apartments" that are often used for employee re-locations, etc. bridgestreet.com/serviced-apartments/FAQ.html

If you used a credit card, dispute the charges with your company.

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

Yes, I will do that. Trying to get my money back from booking.com before desputing with my credit card company.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

If you don't get immediate written confirmation from booking.com that they've cancelled the charges, dispute this with your credit card company. There's no reason to wait on this. Save the information showing that this is intended to be rented for at least 30 days, which is what the law requires.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,432 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

I believe Bridgestreet has been doing serviced apartments, corporate housing, in their own buildings for some time. They used to have one not too far from where I live. In my mind they are sort of like Oakwood corporate apartments, and I haven't heard anything about Oakwood getting into trouble with the law. Don't know if it's any consolation to you, but if they were doing something illegal, I imagine the authorities would have gone after them by now, as they have a rather prominent profile.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 34th & Madison apartaments and 30 days

It may not be Bridgestreet doing this (probably illegal) rental. Someone may have rented an apartment from them and is now subletting it to short term visitors.