We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours

illinois
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tours

Do I have to book a tour to gain access to Top of the Rock, Empire State Building or going to Ellis Island? Thanks

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours

No. You can purchase tickets for each of those venues on the same day as you are going.

CH

Edited: 04 August 2014, 01:14
USA
Level Contributor
11,758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours

You can buy directly at TOTR and ESB, however for the Statue of Liberty, you should book in advance as that fills up quickly. There is only one company that the NPS uses, you can gain access to it from the NPS site:

nps.gov/stli/…feesandreservations.htm

Check because I think Ellis Island is only partially open due to damage from Sandy.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 01:16
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours

Agree with springerlady that you should book your tickets to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island beforehand...especially if you want to visit the Crown. There's a museum in the Pedestal of the Statue too which is very interesting.

Yes, Ellis Island's museum is only partially open after Sandy, bit it is still supposed to be very good. I remember it as one of the highlights of my trips to NYC...but it was entirely open on my visit.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours

While it's possible to buy tickets to each on the day, the best use of time is to buy Empire State tickets online in advance (they,re not dated or timed and are good for a year) to avoid that line. Youstill stand in line for the elevator.

For Ellis Island, buy dated/timed tix on

Statuecruises.com

To avoid long waits.

Top of the Rock is ok to buy on the day.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours

Enough of Ellis Island is open to merit a visit, especially since it is included in the Statue of Liberty ticket. www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisit/index.htm

For the SOL/Ellis, you have three choices: 1) Islands only, 2) + Pedestal Museum or 3) + Climb to the Crown. Crown tickets are very limited and sell out. Tickets are only released for sale a few months in advance. (As of now tickets are only available up to January. For later dates, keep checking back for further releases.)

Official ticket seller: http://www.statuecruises.com/

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours

When we do not "have to", we generally do not purchase advanced tickets for outdoor venues because of the possibility of bad weather (rain, snow, etc.) depending on the time of year.

CH

Edited: 04 August 2014, 02:03
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours

Ch's point about the weather is well taken, but if you want the crown or pedestal tickets for the SOL you really do need to buy these in advance.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 02:10
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours

yep - agree with Auden. The SoL ticket is the one ticket I really think you do need to book well in advance and keep your fingers crossed that you've picked a day that it's not inclement.

I get that many people organise itineraries, and if they are only there for a few days, don't have much flexibility. If you're doing that, then prebooking SoL is a must so you don't miss out and/or have to line up for ages for a ticket the day you head down to Castle Clinton in the hope of being successful.

9. Re: Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16