We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

broadway tickets for if then

Cobourg, Ontario
Level Contributor
202 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
broadway tickets for if then

Coming this week and 18 yr.old daughter wants to see Idina Menzel in If Then. We can only go Wednesday afternoon or evening. Three questions - do actors opt out of a performance (would hate buy tix and she's not on) in the afternoon or evening more often and is there any way of finding out ahead of time, (there is an afternoon and evening performance that day) and what are the chances of getting tickets in the lottery they hold prior to the shows (as read about on the tckts website?) Thanks to anyone who might have some insight into this!

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: broadway tickets for if then

You can Google to find out vacation days, for example, for Idina. Sickness can happen at anytime. Last year at Newsies, the lead became ill during Act I, and his understudy quietly took over. That's the way it goes...

If your daughter's heart is set on seeing this show, I wouldn't risk lottery tickets. Use the discount code at Broadwaybox.com and guarantee her seat.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: broadway tickets for if then

The closest thing I can give you to a guarantee is to head for the box office of the show & ask if they know if Menzel is scheduled to be in the show. Then go to TKTS (which I don't recommend because of the long lines) or to NYC & Co & see if the show is on their Broadway discounts flyer.

Here's an article about discounts including both of those places to score tickets.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: broadway tickets for if then

I've said this before, but I want to make sure your daughter understands that Idina Menzel (who is terrific) is not playing a green witch in a show with some familiar plot elements. This is a very intellectual, post-modern construction that New Yorkers wearing all-black designer clothes love.

That said, it is often at the half price booth. I agree with the previous responses, too.

new york
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: broadway tickets for if then

If Idina is scheduled to be on vacation, it should say that when you buy tickets. She was scheduled to miss a show and they changed their schedule that week to accommodate her. If she is not in, then you can request a refund instead of seeing the show because her name is above the title. She was sick and missed a couple of shows a month or two ago but otherwise she has a very good track record. You also can check the broadwayunderstudies page on Facebook or twitter.

I would buy tickets in advance through broadwaybox to avoid wasting time in the tkts line. I'm not sure how the lottery is now, but I know that a few months ago it was pretty busy. However, they sometimes offered "lottery losers" tickets.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: broadway tickets for if then

"If Idina is scheduled to be on vacation, it should say that when you buy tickets"

I don't think this is the case if you buy online

I have had them tell me that once when buying at the box office for a future date

And some time ago I got tickets for Cabaret for this Sunday (and I'm a subscriber of sorts at the Roundabout) and just today got an email from the Roundabout that Michelle Williams won't be in it that day. Did the box office know that 2 months ago when I bought the tickets? I have no idea. They do offer to exchange the dates if we want

Level Contributor
69 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: broadway tickets for if then

If I were you I would use the promo code from broadway box and go thru ticketmaster and get seats in the orchestra for your Wednesday show the matinee are going for around $106. I saw If/Then in March before it officially opened with my daughter and we sat Orch right and had great seats! I paid $142 a ticket at the time but then in July went with other daughter and I thought I would try and wait last minute to get better deal and on the day of the show ended up just going to the box office and purchasing tickets a few hours before the show, once I saw the lines at Tkts and there is no guarantee you are going to get what you want, I just wanted to secure tickets for her so $87 for center mezzanine is what I was stuck with unless I wanted to pay almost $200 for better seats. Which I didn't. So I would get them asap I will say I enjoyed sitting in the orchestra seating better than higher up because you are almost level with the performance, we were lucky in July that a whole row of people didn't show up so we were told by employees by the second act anyone can move closer which we did. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the show!

new york
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: broadway tickets for if then

That's true if you buy tickets months in advance they may not know, however, the OP is going in 2 days so if Idina is planning to be out, they should let them know. The box office doesn't want to repeat the performance from when she was sick and they gave out tons of free tickets for people to come back to see the show again with Idina.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: broadway tickets for if then

When I was helping someone figure out how to get the best Les Mis tickets, it did state at Telecharge that Ramin Karimloo would be out for a specific performance. (He's Jean Valjean.)

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: broadway tickets for if then

Join the Playbill Club at Playbill.com. They are currently showing 30% discount on all weekday performances. We used the promo code at the box office the day of and got great center orchestra seats for under $90 on a Thursday night last month. Just print the code from the website although we just mentioned the discount code at the box office and they gave us the discount. I believe we were 14 rows from the stage.

You can also use the code for online purchases.

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: broadway tickets for if then

nytix.com/Links/Broadway/lotteryschedule.html

This show has lottery tickets. You should try that.

…playbill.com//news/article/82428-Broadway-R…