We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which village to stay?

Brighton, Melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which village to stay?

We are visiting NYC for the first time next June, and currently planning our trip.

Which village would suit our needs best - we are a family of four with two boys aged 8 and 6.

Happy to walk, and very keen to be near lots of great little eateries, fairly central but not in Times Square...would love a couple of suggestions.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,916 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which village to stay?

The only 'village" in NYC is the neighborhood with the name Greenwich Village! Are you maybe meaning which neighborhood should you stay in?

For those who are very familiar with hotels to properly answer your question they need to know:

a. budget per night (in $$, not descriptive words)

b. EXACT dates

c. how many beds do you need ie. how many are willing to share?

Brighton, Melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which village to stay?

Hi, yes, "neighbourhood" if you like, we have our own descriptions in this part of the world, just looking to lock down a certain area of Manhattan. I don't need advice on hotels as we don't plan to stay in one, just seeking suggestions on an area, or "neighbourhood", which will suit our needs as set out in my original post. Thanks in advance.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which village to stay?

If you are planning to rent an apartment for less than 30 days, please read the 2nd topic in the top questions about New York City to the right: Vacation apartment rentals violate NYC laws. This remains one of the most volatile and frequently discussed topics here.

Sweden
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which village to stay?

EDIT: Didn't think my post made it here, I got kicked out of Trip Advisor while posting and the above poster already mentioned what I wanted to say.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 11:22
Brighton, Melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which village to stay?

Fair enough. Not a bad read. Any suggestions on the article's alternative, i.e. "short term apartment style rentals, in a neighbourhood that ticks the boxes as mentioned above? Thanks in advance.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which village to stay?

Take a look at the Upper West Side for your neighborhood pick, and the Beacon Hotel there is a good hotel choice.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which village to stay?

Affinia.com has a number of apartment style hotels. Also look at the suites (not the regular inn rooms) at ChelseaLodge.com Chelsea Lodge is in a pleasant neighborhood and is very near the Highline.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which village to stay?

Apartments2book is a good site that a lot of UK travelers use, with a big library of legal apartment hotels.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,766 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which village to stay?

Elements Hotel is very good for families;free breakfast and a small kitchen. Radio City Apartments are also pretty good and very reasonable. Obviously,as other posters state,you cannot rent an apartment for less than 30 days;we have had several tenants in our building try that and happily,they have been evicted

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which village to stay?

I was going to ask a similar question to the original poster. I've been to New York a few times with my wife and we've always stayed in midtown which has a lot of the attractions but after a certain time at night is pretty soulless.

My question is what are the good 'neighbourhoods', the places where you can stay in one of the smaller boutique hotels and when you roll out the front door there are a plethora of great bars and places to eat. I know of the West Village having wandered around there in the past but what is it like to stay in SoHo or more recently gentrified places such as the Meatpacking District.

Just really looking for people's opinions on what they like.

Edited: 25 October 2014, 14:41