We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

Thanks for your patience everyone. I'm using train timetables to figure out how early I need to get out of my meeting in Long Beach for a stop in Brooklyn (Bedouin Tent, Uniqulo, etc.) before returning to Penn Station for a 7:50 train back to Boston,with Junior's cheesecake and Middle Eastern takeout in hand.

I've got LIRR to Atlantic Terminal. If I leave Long Beach in time to get to Brooklyn by 4pm... do I have until 6:30 before I need to get to Penn Station? How tight would you cut it? Stopping also to see the High Line is out of the question, correct? If I did quick errands in Brooklyn from 4-5... could I see the High Line en route to Penn? Too much?

Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

High Line is out of the question if you get to Bklyn by 4.

Arrive at Atlantic Ave at 4. Uniqlo and then head down Atlantic to Bedouin Tent and then over to Junior's(or do that in reverse.

Then back to Atlantic Ave to get on the 2 or 3 to Penn Station.

I would go Uniqlo > Junior's > Bedouin > Back to Penn Station.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

To add, you can get on a later train back to Penn Station, but why cut it so close with clothes and food in hand.

IMO, no point stopping at the High Line due to time and the fact that you all basically get a quick glimpse and have to leave.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,515 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

For a 7:50 train, you just need to be in Penn Station around 7:35, but since everything in NYC takes longer than you expect, aim for 7:20, then you won't be too late.

The High Line is one mile long; you would need at least a 45 minutes to walk along it and enjoy it. The good news is if you start at the south end at Gansevoort St., when you get off it you are at 30th and 10th and Penn Station is at 31st and 8th (about 2/5 mile walk). So you need to be ON the High Line by 6:20 PM.

We can work backwards; you need to be on the Manhattan-bound A or C train in Brooklyn by 5:55 at "Jay St-Metrotech" or "Hoyt Schermerhorn" station. Juniors is only about 3 blocks from Jay Street. Atlantic Avenue stores and takeouts are near Hoyt-Schermerhorn. You need to be finished shopping and food purchases by 5:35.

Now for the shopping part between 4 PM and 5:35:

Brooklyn is bigger land wise than the city of Boston; I assume the stores you are stopping at are right near Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues or Flatbush and Fulton (near Juniors, which is at Flatbush and Dekalb). Note that Juniors is about 1/2 mile up Flatbush from the railroad station (or one stop north on the 2,3,4,5 trains at Nevins St. or the B,Q trains at DeKalb Avenue).

Middle Eastern food can be gotton on Atlantic Avenue to the west (across Flatbush from the RR station).

I see that Uniqlo is right there in the shopping mall above Atlantic Terminal. I don't know where the others are.

Just start going to Juniors by 4:40, again because EVERYTHING takes longer than you think. I think the Middle Eastern food idea is the easy part to get rid of. Takeout Falafel is takeout Falafel everywhere; it's all the same, unless you want to spend an hour at a nice sit-down restaurant, which I assume you don't want to do. So spend a half hour or 40 minutes getting clothes.

You need to decide if Juniors is really necessary, because the cheesecake is creamier than most people expect and many are disappointed, not because it 's not the world's best (which it is), but it's not what the much of America is accustomed to concerning Cheesecake.

If you don't need Juniors (just writing about it makes me hungry), there is a subway station for the C train at Lafayette Avenue and Fulton St, one block north of Atlantic Terminal (ask someone). Take it to 14th and go to the HIgh Line (now THAT'S worth it). If you skip Juniors and the Mid-east food, you can clothing shop until 5:05, get the C train, get the HIgh Line, get to Penn Station by 7:25, and you are set.

Always be checking the time!!!! I'm the rush around type too, and that stuff always works for me!

Look at the Google map of Flatbush Avenue from Atlantic Terminal to Juniors to Jay St station, and be ready to move.

Look at the Google map of 14th St at 8th Avenue to the Gansevoort St entrance to the High Line; then look at the walk from the north end at 30th St to Penn Station, and you are ready to go!!!!!! You go, girl!

Just in case: the 2 and 3 trains go to 14th St and 7th Avenue, a 4 minute extra walk to the High Line, but if you see that train, it might be easier than searching out the A or C train.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 21:55
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,515 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

I may have been a bit too optimistic. If the stores are spread apart you have to make a lot of store decisions. The critical thing for the High Line is to be on it by 6:15. If shopping is more important, take your time around downtown Brooklyn, and just take the A,C,2, or 3 train to Penn Station by 7 PM.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

Junior's is far from 3 blocks from Jay Street. Also, Bedouin Tent is on Atlantic a short walk from Atlantic Terminal/Center.

I kinda disagree with your plan above...though there are countless ways that this can be done.

If they are coming into Atlantic Terminal via the LIRR, why go to Junior's first?

Go upstairs to Uniqlo. Then either go to Junior's or Bedouin(or reverse) and circle back to the train to Penn Station.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

Just make sure you have booked and printed out your Amtrak ticket in advance. (You can also save it on a smartphone.) That way you don't have to wait at either a kiosk or ticket window at Penn Station.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

Thanks all. I'm making peace with the fact I won't have time for High Line this trip. I'd considered just getting a glimpse but that's not worth missing the train over. Much appreciate the advice.

As for Juniors, up in Boston, NY-style cheesecake is on menus, never as good as you find in NYC. A friend from Brooklyn insisted I try the original Juniors. So it's on my list. I went to Bedouin Tent last time I was in Brooklyn and loved it. They make their own pita right there. Yum. The baklavah was also good.... Amazing amount of fresh food for short money. Hoping for takeout for the train.

Getting hungry too!

Thanks all!

8. Re: When to leave to catch a train... Long Beach, Brooklyn...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 07:16