We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and from airports

Liverpool, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Getting to and from airports

I land in JFK airport at 8:05PM and fly from LGA airport at 8:05AM

I would like to see times square in the night, I doubt much will be open for me to see at the times I will be in New York

Any help on the fastest/cheapest ways to get from JFK to times square (or best attraction at 9PM onwards) and also for the best/fastest/cheapest way to get to LGA airport from Times Square at around 3AM would be alot of help.

Also any info on what may be open and good to see late on, on 7th September (Sunday)

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and from airports

Do you intend to sleep, at all? Doesn't look like it.

JFK to Times Square: take the AirTrain to Jamaica, switch to the E train, get off at 42nd Street, you're there.

Times Square to LGA at 3 am: Take a cab. There will be no traffic. It'll take you 25 minutes. But it'll cost you, like, $35.

You can get there on the subway for $2.50, but the subways go weird with construction at 3 AM. The simplest way would be to take the #7 train from Times Square to 61st/Woodside and pick up the Q70 express bus there, which runs all night, but you have to make sure they aren't doing something crazy with the 7 that weekend like shutting down the river tunnel. mta.info is your friend.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and from airports

The Empire State Building is open until 2 a.m. (last elevator 1:15) http://www.esbnyc.com/

Koreatown, near the ESB, has some 24/7 restaurants: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreatown,_Manhattan

The (free) Staten Island Ferry also runs 24/7: http://siferry.com/SIFerry_Schedules.asp

Will you have a lot of luggage?

Q70 bus info: …mta.info/nyct/service/NewQ70LimitedStopServ… but agree a cab is probably better.

I don't think any of the food places at LGA will be open all night, so you might want to make sure you eat before heading out there or maybe bring some snacks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and from airports

You definitely don't need to leave that early to make your flight out of LGA. You can leave around 630 if you don't have luggage, 6 if you do. There is really no traffic in NYC until 730 or so and it really doesn't pick up until 8.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and from airports

Also, if you want, you can store your luggage at Penn Station if you plan on staying out all night. You can take the Long Island Railroad/Airtrain combination straight there from JFK - about 45 minutes total and 10 minute walk to Times Square.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,842 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to and from airports

Adam, clearly you're rarely in cabs that early. I can assure you, there is absolutely traffic at 7AM. And there's no luggage storage at Penn Station unless you're holding an Amtrak ticket.

For an 8AM flight, with no luggage I would leave at 6, and with luggage at 5:30.

6. Re: Getting to and from airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16