We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

Houston, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

Taking my 16 and 7 yr. old kids to NYC in a few days. Need food suggestions and other things to do. Are the attractions in my schedule in close proximity? Do I need to rearrange some things?

Day one-

*Lunch Hell's Kitchen

*HOHO bus tour-downtown

*Get off at Rockefeller Center /Times Square and explore there.

• Hershey Store

• M&M

• Toys R Us

• FAO Schwartz

*TOTR at sunset. Dinner in the area (have any suggestions?).

Day Two

*9/11 Memorial

* Walk Brooklyn Bridge

• Lunch at Grimaldi’s

• Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory

• DUMBO

• Jane Carousel

• Walk Brooklyn Bridge back

Day Three

*Statue Of Liberty

*Explore Chinatown/Little Italy

• Ferrera Bakery

Where can I fit in?

Lincoln Center

Grand Central Station

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Central Park

Lunch at Katz Deli

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

I don't think you can fit in any of your "extras" unless you give up something else from your plan. I'd probably give up the HOHO bus and possibly Chinatown/Little Italy.

You might be able to fit in Grand Central Terminal before your TOTR visit if you cut back on a bit of the shopping beforehand but I understand that kids would like all that.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

On Day 1, save all the Times Square stuff until nighttime. It's more exciting with the lights anyway. That will free up some afternoon time.

Is Day 1 your arrival day? What time do you get in? Where is your hotel?

Doesn't the HOHO Downtown tour cover some of the areas you're returning to on other days?

On Day 3, are you actually going to the SOL? Have you booked tickets and what is your time slot?

Most people pair 911 memorial and Brooklyn Bridge with the SOL. Hopefully you are just visiting the memorial and not doing the 911 Memorial Museum?

The Met takes a good half day. Consider whether doing Brooklyn is a priority for this trip..

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

You can fit Grand Central into day 2..but as stated..it depends on where you are staying.

Day 2...start from Grand Central > 9/11 Memorial > subway to Brooklyn > Lunch/ice cream/DUMBO/Bklyn Heights/Promenade/Bklyn Bridge Park(all 3 a must see while you are there)/Carousel > walk back over the Bridge TO the city.

No need to take so much time to walk to and fro over the Bridge IMO. Take the subway from the 9/11 Memorial area(Fulton Street Stop.) You will be on the Bklyn side in 5 minutes(literally the next stop on the A or C train.)

Edited: 04 August 2014, 23:33
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

There is a very nice LEGO store in Rockefeller Center, are your kids big fans of this? You can easily spend hours there picking up loose parts and missing pieces if you need any!

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

Fao Schwartz is right by the southeast corner of Central Park so if you make it to the store, just cross the street and you can walk around by the zoo, rink, carousel etc.

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

Remember that when you're new to the city, it take a little more time to get to and from places, no matter what mode of transportation. Try to localize your activities. If you're heading toward Central Park, consider checking out FAO Schwartz before you go there as it's near the south east corner of the park. Also Central Park has a nice zoo. There are also fantastic museums on either side of Central Park. IF you're going to the 911 memorial, consider a fun activity once you're done as it's pretty heavy no matter how many times you've been. While in lower manhattan where the memorial is, consider a roundtrip on the Staten Island Ferry afterwards which is an inexpensive way to see the beautiful skyline and see the Statue of Liberty. Don't forget to check out Wall Street while you're down there if you've never been before. Have a great time and realize that you may get off of your itinerary as New York has millions of wonderful things to offer that you never expected and might be more interesting than the next thing on your agenda! :) Best of Luck with the fam! Gwenn

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

Dear Koalatraveler, sorry for not reading your post before sending my own. :)

Mr. Smith, I forgot to mention that Grand Central has a very cool audio tour if you or your kids like facts and history about GCTerminal. You can go at your own pace fast or taking your time, depending on how much time you have. Since it's midtown, there's a lot to do all around it.

Best

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

You've had lots of good suggestions about putting things together when they're in the same area. You can also use Hopstop to help you figure out directions and travel time whether you're walking, taking a taxi, etc.

You don't mention the types of food that all of you like, so it's hard to suggest specific places to eat. Menupages.com is a terrific site that gives you places, prices, menus, and reviews. Just type in an area, such as the W. 40's, and go from there.

If you make it to the Met, take a Highlights tour. They last an hour to an hour and a half, are free, and can help you cover a lot of territory in a small amount of time.

My girls, ages 12 and 15, and I really enjoyed Georgio's Country Grill on W. 53 and 9th on our last visit in June: nice variety, reasonable prices, and very friendly service. (The best milkshakes we've ever had, too!)

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

No problem, Gwenniebear. :)

Houston, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to NYC in three days!!!!Help!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions we will be taking the amtrak train from dc August 9 but will not arrive until about 9pm so I figure that's a wrap for that night. But I plan on being up and ready to go Sunday-Tuesday. We depart around noon on Wednesday. This has helped me out a lot. I reallllllly appreciate everyone's help.:)))