We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving into NYC

Gatlinburg, Tenn...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving into NYC

My wife and I, are planning a September trip to NYC. I have driven in a lot of major cities, including Chicago. Should I be concerned or leery about driving into Mid Manhattan to our hotel, where will do our thing, and walk, as we are both runners. Thanks for any replies.

USA
Level Contributor
12,986 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving into NYC

Don't worry, just map out your route and if possible, drive in during non rush hour times.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
738 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving into NYC

I too have driven through most of the major cities in the US. Manhattan takes the cake. It's not as bad as driving in the third world and you will be fine. Just be ready for a lot of one way streets and also a lot of traffic.

Do map out your trip ahead of time on paper because gps has a hard time finding itself in between the tall buildings! It will send you in circles.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving into NYC

I also have driven in many major cities in the U.S. and consider Manhattan to be the easiest. Most of it is a grid and it really isn't very big. As suggested, plan ahead so that you know which streets are one way.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving into NYC

If you were OK in Chicago, you should be fine here.

To get specific route advice: Which direction will you be approaching the city from? Where is your hotel? Will you be exiting the city back the way you came or heading elsewhere? And do you know approximately when you will be approaching the city?

Look here to see if you can find a deal on parking: http://nyc.bestparking.com/ (Few hotels have their own garages, so you can often find a better price separately.)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving into NYC

+1 on the bestparking website. Choose garages with green icons since these are the ones with guaranteed rates. Be sure to print out the coupon and bring it with you. You need to pay with a credit card to get the discounted coupon rate. You don't actually need to tell the garage anything about the coupon until you go to check out. I've never had any problems using this.

BTW - You should plan to drive first to your hotel and drop off your wife and your luggage. Then you can go to the garage and park. Tell the hotel that they should allow your wife to check in for you (assuming you made the reservation) so she doesn't have to wait around in the lobby for your return.

Unless you're planning on covering a limited number of sites in one concentrated area during your visit, it's unlikely you can get around just by running/walking. Manhattan is just too spread out to do that efficiently. Use the subway!

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving into NYC

I've driven in Manhattan as a Bostonian and found it challenging insofar as there are so many choices. You need to know where you're going so that you don't accidentally take a wrong turn and end up wildly off-track. If the traffic is moving fast, it can be challenging to need to make a decision quickly relative to which way to go. I found this true not in Manhattan proper but around the outskirts.

The other challenge has been mentioned: traffic. Do not not not get stuck in rush hour traffic.

Other than that, you should be fine. Driving in Chicago is big-city driving and you managed that. One problem some Southerners encounter is that you don't typically get the smiling waves and "No you first...No you first" in the northeast. Just don't take anything personally and you'll be fine.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 17:44
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving into NYC

Boston! Now there's a city with tough driving.

Use yah blinkah!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving into NYC

I live in a smaller city in upstate & don't have a problem with just driving in & out. Unless you are going to be in the village, it's much less confusing than say Philly which I visited in May as the streets are labelled in numerical order. Even if you find yourself needing to go the opposite way on a one way street, all you need to do is head for the next street & go around. One brief tip, right on red is illegal in Manhattan. Now, I don't drive around but I don't have a problem with just getting in & out.

Gatlinburg, Tenn...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving into NYC

A big thanks for all you who have taken the time to reply to my post. To answer a couple questions, we will come from the east,looking like thru the Lincoln Tunnel. Hotel has not been reserved yet, as I am plotting whether or not to do this. It's kind on my bucket list. However, I would like to stay just south of Central Park a few blocks. I will probably leave the same way. That is my next question, when is the best time to enter, to stay away from rush hours?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving into NYC

People who drive in often recommend http://www.skylinehotelny.com/ and http://www.thetravelinnhotel.com/ because they have reasonably priced on-site parking and are relatively close to the Lincoln Tunnel for minimal driving in Manhattan. They are fairly convenient for subway access and within walking distance (but not IN) Times Square and the Theater District.

However, if you find another hotel you like, do price parking at the Best Parking (link above.) to get the best deal.

Entering via the George Washington Bridge is usually not recommended, due to congestion.

Rush hours can be long, approaching during mid-day or mid to late evening is probably best. There is a toll at the tunnel as you enter, so there is usually a bit of a wait there. There is no toll to exit Manhattan, but there is enough traffic it will take some time, even at off hours.

Another option some people choose is to park their car in Weehawken and take the ferry to Manhattan. www.nywaterway.com/IndoorParkingGarage.aspx