We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

West Molesey...
Level Contributor
30 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

Which in people's opinion is the better option. Empire State Building or Top of the Rock. We will be in NY in September, but due to limited time we can't do both. Have looked at a lot of reviews on both but still can't make my mind up.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

If you want to get an awesome view of the Empire State Building DON"T go up the Empire State Building!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

You can see Central Park from TOTR but not the ESB. In the daytime anyway. The view of the ESB is amazing.

But from the ESB you get a view straight down Lower Manhattan which I really liked. Plus the ESB has nostalgia value.

Level Contributor
97 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

It's all the same really you're just up high! I've been up both a few times. I prefer the Rockefeller because any time I've gone up its quiet and relaxed, no queues and good views. You can also see the Empire State. Also the elevator up is cool. The staff are much nicer (which isn't something I'd normally comment on only the Empire State staff seem to treat tourists like herds of cattle who are irritating them and they force you to q to have pictures taken even though u know you aren't going to buy them) none of that crap happens at totr.

I'd go with TOTR, go late in the evening to avoid the crowds, think it stays open pretty late (maybe up to 12am)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

We have been to both many times, so here is a thought: Do one of them this trip, and the other on your next trip.

We prefer the ToTR in the evening because it offers us great views of the ESB all lit in colors appropriate to current events. Also, just prior to sunset the ToTR offers great views of Central Park and its lakes and ponds.

During the daylight hours, we prefer the ESB, especially the upper observation point at the 102nd floor for spectacular views of the City, the ocean, the upper Palisades (in NJ) and into NJ clear to the mountains.. We can even see our Village apartment building from the ESB.

CH

West Molesey...
Level Contributor
30 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

Thanks for your replies, informative as ever. You have given us some food for thought.

Thanks again guys!

6. Re: Empire State Building or Top of the Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 06:17