We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping: 1st time visitors

Shreveport...
9 posts
Save Topic
Shopping: 1st time visitors

Hi all. Let me introduce myself. I'll start with the obvious. My name is David and I'm from Shreveport, Louisiana.

I'm planning an exciting first time ever trip to NYC for probably next June and will be accompanied by my two daughters, both in their 20s. We plan on staying somewhere between 5 and 9 nights at the Doubletree Times Square (TS view). I think a 2-room suite makes the most sense for us. I want them to have some privacy while avoiding the expense of two rooms. I like the central location of the hotel, but I know it's crazy in Times Square and we will check it out, but we won't be spending much time there other than when we're in our room. If anyone has recommendations for other suites, I'm open for suggestions. :)

I'm still months away from posting an official itinerary, but maybe I'll post something sometime soon and hopefully get some good advice to help me get closer to the finalized version.

I've been keeping up with this NYC forum for a few weeks now and thought it was about time to chime in. I've learned so much about wonderful New York City (mainly Manhattan, of course, but the other boroughs as well) over this time and really appreciate the valuable insight provided by the experts and others.

To the "experts and others", I can feel your frustration when posters don't give enough info to go on and ask questions that can easily be answered by clicking a topic on the right or searching a topic. Lol, it's kinda funny seeing the responses. ;)

Ok, here's a question that I could possibly find with a search, but how about a little interaction??

What is a good day of the week to take my daughters shopping for several hours and what would be a memorable route and stops (stores) along the way? Mainly window shopping, but will most likely try and find something for them to wear to a Broadway play that evening or whenever it works out. We would want the stores you always hear about included in the route along with others in the area that could be recommended.

Thanks so much,

David

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

Ok..here we go....

Honestly, if you are coming in June, any day of the week will be good. However:

-This is your first trip.

-Your daughters are in their 20's.

Now, if you want to experience more people/crowds, shop on a weekend. I myself love going down to SOHO, the Village, etc on a late Saturday morning/early Sat PM. Not only do I find it a good shopping day, but people come out a little more on the wknd..so great for people watching.

Some people love that and your daughters are old enough that you won't really have to worry about anything.

If you like it quieter(though in the Summer you may still feel that the city is packed) go on a nice weather weekday.

Shreveport...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

Thanks. Really Saturday morning until mid afternoon does sound like an appropriate and fun time to go and the crowds/people will be part of it.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

,the village................is that greenwich village

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

yes

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

thank you. Im going new york in Sept (first time too)

My 2 daughtere are looking for places to shop.

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

**,the village................is that greenwich village**

Correct.

When people say "the Village"...they mean Greenwich Village.

When people say "the city" they really mean Manhattan vs the entire NYC(including Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, SI.)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

**My 2 daughtere are looking for places to shop.**

Get down the 8th Street and Broadway. Start heading South down Bway. You can walk all the way down to Canal Street and find just about everything you could imagine.

You could also make detours on side streets along the way(Prince Street...then down to West Bway, etc.)

You could even start this further North around Union Square(14th Street.)

The N or R train stops at 8th Street/NYU and the 6 train stops at Astor Place. Great Starting point if starting at 8th Street.

Many trains stop at 14th Street/Union Square. Subway map is below:

http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Shreveport...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

I know I'll figure it out eventually, but was hoping someone would just say start here, walk these streets, stop at these stores along the way and you'll be happy with your experience of shopping in "the city". :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

Depends on the type of shopping they want to do. If they want indie boutiques or super high-end designer stuff, ignore these suggestions :):

SoHo: Broadway from Houston to Canal Street is the epicenter, but the street are thick with shops from 6th Avenue to Lafayette Street between Canal and Houston.

Flatiron: Fifth Avenue from 23rd Street down to 14th Street. Also shopping along neighboring Broadway, same stretch ( 23rd-14th). Along the south side of Union Square (14th Street) there is also a DWS (discounted shoes), a Nordstrom Rack, and a Burlington Coat Factory.

Herald Square: 34th Street from 5th to 7th Avenues; includes the Macy's flagship store

Midtown: 5th Avenue from Lord & Taylor at 38th Street, past Rockefeller Center, up to Central Park (59th Street). You could then head east on 59th Street and go over to Bloomingdale's on Lexington.

There is also a discount department store called Century 21. The flagship is in the Financial District, next to the WTC. There is also one on the Upper West Side now, near Lincoln Center.

Enjoy! :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping: 1st time visitors

**but was hoping someone would just say start here, walk these streets, stop at these stores along the way**

See...we don't know your daughter's tastes.

if you walk along any of the routes that will be suggested, they will find loads of stuff.

Anyone could suggest this or that store. But if you explore a 'hood, they may see some many other places that they want to visit.

I was down in the Village last month at my favorite liquor store stocking up for an event. While walking to the subway, I stopped into a sneaker store just to look and bought a pair of Adidas that I had looked at previously at another store. Just by chance.

So I would not focus so much on store A or B. I would focus more on areas. frangipani7 has given some great options above.