We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best method of travel for these two journeys

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Best method of travel for these two journeys

Hi,

My husband and I are returning to New York at the end of August this time with our three adult children and having been given excellent advice when we came before I thought I would get your opinions on this.

1) We are getting a train from Boston where we are spending our first 8 days in the US so will arrive at Penn Station mid afternoon on Sunday 31st August and are staying in the financial district. We will be five adults with (probably) six cases, five pieces of hand luggage and various handbags and camera cases. I realise we will not all fit in to a taxi but would we fit in to two taxis? Our other options are to put one/two people in a taxi with as many cases as possible and send the others on the subway, get two taxis and still send one/two people on the subway, get three taxis?

2) We need to get to JFK airport for 4.30am on the Saturday we fly home so will need transport. At the moment I am considering booking a minivan - coming out at $138 + tolls + tip, booking two smaller cars - $60 per car + tolls + tips or waiting and see what the hotel suggest when we get there. What are your thoughts please?

I would just add that four out of five of the adults are completely able bodied and able to lift the cases, manage the luggage etc - I am disabled and use a cane and rely on the others to manage my case and hand luggage, I just carry a small handbag.

Thank you for any thoughts or advice on the above.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best method of travel for these two journeys

** I realise we will not all fit in to a taxi but would we fit in to two taxis? **

-Yes. 5 people w/luggage = 2 taxis.

** or waiting and see what the hotel suggest when we get there. What are your thoughts please?**

-Don't go with the hotel's advice. 9 times out of 10, they will suggest a higher priced option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best method of travel for these two journeys

Thank you,

I think we will rely on two taxis from the station to the hotel. I will also try and prebook transport from the hotel to the airport. I realise there will be a premium for antisocial hours but at least the traffic should be a bit lighter!

Thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,913 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best method of travel for these two journeys

There should be no premium for traveling atthat hour.

Allstatelimo.com

Is a good car service. Are you sure about the 4:30 am timing? Some airlines don't even have staff or an open desk at that hour. I'd double check. I also worry aout your choice of hotel location if you use a cane. Most people with canes will prefer using buses vs. subway to avoid stairs. Bus travel from the financial district to midtown will be a long slog and taxis will be expensive and slow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best method of travel for these two journeys

Hi,

Thanks I will look at that link.

Although I use a cane (and find it difficult to carry or pull luggage due to balance issues) I am ok with stairs if there is a handrail and from a previous visit to New York found the subway great - very similar to the London underground. We are only looking at taxis for the two journeys above and otherwise will walk or use the subway but I appreciate your thoughts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best method of travel for these two journeys

Use Uber (an app). It hails a private car to your location in minutes and it costs roughly what a taxi does. They have a new feature called UberXL which gets you a big car that seats up to 6 for approximately 25% more.

6. Re: Best method of travel for these two journeys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:16