We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Hi,

I have a long connection in jfk terminal 8 next week. Is it possible to buy a go pro in the airport? Im travelling from Dublin to Rio.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,771 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Not sure.

Here is a list of shops by terminal: panynj.gov/airports/jfk-shops-restaurants-se…

There appear to be a couple of shops that sell tech, but access may depend on which terminal you are in post-security.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,755 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Here is a link to the stores in that terminal. I'd check their websites to see if any mention the phone.

http://jfkshopsat8.com/directory.aspx

Sorry sometimes we post simultaneously but since my link is different to the 1st, I'll leave mine up.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 19:56
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

^^

Go Pro is more of a video recording device than a phone.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 19:58
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,755 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Sorry. I don't have a smart phone much less a video recorder. Thanks for the insight.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Yep. It's small device that people wear on their head/on a holder/etc that they can record video/audio and post to social media.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Ok, so I can't be sure about getting my gopro in JFK. What is the nearest shopping mall? The larger the better, more chance of there being a camera shop.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

JFK doesn't have shopping like a European airport. Think of it more as a 1970s airport experience, with some small duty free shops and a few mediocre restaurants. It's well known as a very poor quality airport.

I see there's a Best Buy electronics kiosk in T8. If it has a GoPro, you're golden. Otherwise, there's a Best Buy in the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, which is a 15 minute cab ride from JFK.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Even better: go to BestBuy.com and pick out the GoPro you want. For delivery, choose "in store pickup." Enter 11430 as the zip code, that's the airport. It will show you the nearest stores with your product in stock, and it will be waiting for you when you get there!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,771 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

How long is your layover?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I buy a Go Pro in JFK?

Will your luggage be checked through to your final destination? If you're coming from Dublin and on a through ticket then it probably will be.

You can certainly take a taxi to Green Acres in Valley Stream. The fare will be higher for the short portion outside NYC. You would probably need a car service to bring you back to the airport.

Another alternative, if you don't want to worry about potential traffic jams is to go to the Queens Center mall. There's a Best Buy there, along with lots of other stores. To get there you'd take the AirTrain to Jamaica, then the E subway to 71st/Continental, then a cross platform change for either the M or the R to Woodhaven Blvd. (The M wouldn't run this route on weekends but you'd just take whichever came first in any event.)

This is certainly doable, but the downside,of course, is that you need to make a couple of train changes.

All of this depends, of course, on just how long your layover is.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 01:58