We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only one full day in Manhattan

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Only one full day in Manhattan

Haven't been to NY in years and will only have next Monday as a full day off. Will be staying in Lower Manhattan, in the financial district. Would prefer to walk, but am not averse to the trains if need be. Any must-sees? Is checking Chinatown out worth it? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

-Chinatown- Yes

But as for suggestions...what are your interests?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

"....Haven't been to NY in years and will only have next Monday as a full day off. Will be staying in Lower Manhattan..."

How about:

Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and having lunch in DUMBO (Brooklyn) and a ride on Jane's carousel? and/or

A visit to the 911 Memorial & Museum?

and/or

A boat ride to SOL and Ellis Island?

and/or

A walk through Chinatown and dinner?

CH

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

You will find that the city has changed a good deal over the years, fortunately, for he better. A lot depends on your interests, but for a general look at the place, I would include in no particular order:

1. Staten Island Ferry (1 hour round trip)

2. Walk Fifth Ave. 42 to 59th St.

3. Grand Central Terminal and the Library have been restored in recent years, but the Main Reading Room is closed because of some recent fallen plaster.

4. Perhaps a bus ride that will allow you to see many places in a hurry.

5. Soho has perhaps changed much since your last visit. It was a very undesirable area in the 1970s. Adjoining areas of Broadway now have many stores.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

I enjoy walking around the city. Have never really explored lower Manhattan. Don't really want to do the water taxi and/or Ellis Island thing. Prefer off - the - beaten path places. Someone told me I just HAVE to experience Century21, some shopping mecca. I can take it or leave it. Any suggestions?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

I enjoy walking around the city. Have never really explored lower Manhattan. Don't really want to do the water taxi and/or Ellis Island thing. Prefer off - the - beaten path places. Someone told me I just HAVE to experience Century21, some shopping mecca. I can take it or leave it. Any suggestions?

Edited: 06 August 2014, 16:17
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

Here is a self guided walking tour of lower Manhattan: http://www.downtownny.com/walkingtours

A walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to explore Dumbo might also be enjoyable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUMBO,_Brooklyn

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

Century 21 is definitely not a must see. Its a discount dept store which is usually super crowded with tourists. The biggest change is probably the completion of the 911 memorial so I would definitely walked through there.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

Twisted:

As you like to walk and also want to do some shopping we suggest that you couple your shopping with sightseeing, and as we have lived in the Village for 40+ years, we think that there is no better place for NYC visitors to do both than right here in our neighborhood.

For browsing/shopping in the area of Washington Square Park (WSP) we can recommend the many shops that line the nearby streets especially, east (Broadway), west (6th Avenue), south (Bleecker Street) and north (8th Street). As well, there are a number of streets that run from the south side of WSP through to SoHo and they also are lined with shops and galleries….we especially like walking south/north along LaGuardia Place that becomes West Broadway.

You might start a walking tour on any Wednesday, Friday or Saturday morning at the Union Square Market where local nurseries, farmers, ranchers, bakers, pie and jam makers, etc and bring their products for sale. Afterwards, walk south on University Place to the Washington Mews where a short stroll west will bring you to Fifth Avenue. Another short stroll south will being you to WSP where you can browse the Park and nearby streets mentioned (above) in our post.

A couple of blocks south of WSP is Bleecker Street (the pulse of the Village), where if you walk along it northwest you will pass many shops and ultimately come to Bethune Street. Here, walk west a couple of blocks to Washington Street, where walking north will bring you to the entrance to the Highline. At this point you are also very close to the Chelsea Market, which is another GREAT place for shopping for everything from clothes to spices to souvenirs to housewares and much much more....

CH

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

CH -- sounds like a plan! thanks so much for the suggestions. will start at walking distances straightaway.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only one full day in Manhattan

thanks, kaye. hadn't thought about walking across the brooklyn bridge to check out dumbo...might just.