We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
Save Topic
Need help planning

Hello my first post :) My wife and I have booked a holiday to New York city over Christmas! But we don't know where to start? We know what we want to do and see but don't know what order to visit or how long each will take or how far from each other they are. I've tried to use google maps but it just confuses me.

We will arrive on the 23rd of December and leave on the 3rd of January so we have plenty of time. Christmas eve we plan on doing something Christmasy and the same with Christmas day (Christmas windows, Bryant Park etc) Also New Years eve we will be going to the ball drop (we know all about the not going to the toilet and so on, we still want to do it)

I've looked at a lot of trip reports to give us an idea but they all seem to be around 5 days.

We have a broadway show booked every night except the 24th December, 31st December and January. We made a list of places we want to go to...

natural history museum

top of the rock

bryant park

grand central terminal

rockefeller centre

9/11 musuem

9/11 memorial

times square

intrepid sea, air and space museum

fifth avenue

empire state building

upper west side

washington square park

madison avenue

madame tussauds

lincoln square

central park

central park zoo

battery park

theodore roosevelt birthplace

sleep no more

ripleys believe it or not

discovery times square

botanical gardens bronx

soho

china town and little itaily

metropolitan museum of art

public library

murrays cheese shop

dylans candy store

union square market

tenement museum

transportation museum brooklyn

brooklyn bridge

the high line

greenwich village

columbus circle

chelsea market

brookfield place

st pauls chapel

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning

Since you have the 24th free atm, why not add Christmas carols that night to you itinerary? It was one of the highlights of my Christmas trip in 2012. Picked up the idea from Ztaks on these forums. I went to the carols in Gramercy Park (at 6 pm if I recall correctly, look it up to make sure) - might be other places too that I don't know anything of? Very festive.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning

Thanks! I will look into that.

I feel that we are going to be in New York for too long? The things we want to do aren't enough to keep us going? Or maybe if we took our time between each place? Still don't have a clue how to go about it. I'm suppose if we just went without a plan we would miss out on things?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning

Our favorite December in NYC “Christmas-window” stroll (around 3 hours walking) goes from Central Park along Fifth Avenue to around 48th Street viewing the lake and bridge in the Park (59th Street near 5th Avenue), the store windows at Bergdorf’s (between 58th & 59th Streets) and SAKS (49th Street), a stop in at St Thomas’ (53rd Street) and St Patrick’s (51st Street) to hear the bells and view the altars, watch the skaters at Rockefeller Center (between 49th & 50th Streets) and marvel at the Tree and then walk to Bryant Park behind the Library at 42st Street to shop at the Holiday Market.

It may be a little chilly (dress warmly in layers), but it can be a delightful afternoon!

CH

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning

not to long at all

You can plot things on a paper map - I would avoid Ripleys and Madame Tussauds

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning

CasaHoffa, did you do this on Christmas day? Are the Christmas windows on and lit up on Christmas day? Are they best viewed at night? We have the Christmas Spectacular show at Radio Hall at 7, would doing the route you took but starting from Bryant Park up work out?

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning

If someone could post how long each attraction takes roughly from what i've posted, that would help me a lot

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning

"....CasaHoffa, did you do this on Christmas day? Are the Christmas windows on and lit up on Christmas day? Are they best viewed at night?...."

We have done this walk many times through the years, including Christmas Day, and the windows were lit and operating. Yes, we think the windows are nice at night, too. Best views of the Park on during the day.

CH

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning

Does this look ok? I've missed out some things and haven't added any of the broadway shows we have tickets for at the end of the day

christmas eve:

public libry market

union sqaure market

christmas windows at night (5th avenue)

rockefeller christmas tree at night

view ice skating at rockefeller

christmas day:

bryant park

central park

central park zoo

central park ice rink

christmas spectacular show

rockefeller christmas tree again

day 1:

metropolitan museum of art

tenemnet museum

day 2:

natural history museum

top of the rock

day 3:

9/11 memorial

9/11 museum

battery park

charging bull

new york stock exhange

st pauls chapel

brookfield place

world financial center

brooklyn bridge

day 4:

times square

discovery times square

ripley, madame tussauds etc

greenwich village

chelsea market

soho

china town and little itaily

day 5:

interprid sea, air and space museum

tenement museum

brooklyn bridge park

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning

public library market is in Bryant Park

10. Re: Need help planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:16