We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Hello

I am currently in NY and would like to know where i can sample the best hot dog (not off the street!) Any suggestions welcome

New York City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

You realize that you are starting a war?

Well, here is my entry. Gray's Papya, 6th ave and 8th street.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

I'm with Al. Go to Gray's. Also at 72nd & Broadway. Recession Special = 2 dogs plus medium drink (go for the papaya) for $2.75.

Papaya King also excellent, but they don't have a Recession Special.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Gray's or Papaya King. Several locations for each.

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Gray's Papaya, 2 dogs with Kraut & Mustard, Medium size Papaya Drink, $2.75. Can't be beat!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Well the best Hot Dog in NYC is made by Sabrett - and that's one of our little secrets, regardless of where you go you are probably going to get a Sabrett's hot dog - including at the ever popular and ever tasty Papaya King and Gray's Papaya.

But here are a couple of my favorites:

1. The "14-bite" hot dog at Brooklyn Diner that comes with sauerkraut and onion rings, and

2. The all beef red hot dog at Old Town Bar on E 18th Street which comes in a toasted and buttered bun.

3. I love the dog at Katz's Deli on E. Houston - maybe the best sauerkraut around

4. The dog at Shake Shack in Madison Park is yummy.

5. Nathan's of course - and of course in Coney Island

Hackettstown, New...
Level Contributor
187 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Fie on all these Manhattanites - Nathan's Famous is the way to go! The original Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs are found in Coney Island in Brooklyn (take the D, F, or Q trains to the last stop) - exactly where they have been since 1916. There's a ton of things to do in Coney Island as well right now, like go to the beach, walk along the boardwalk or go to the old-fashioned sideshows or amusement parks in the area. Nathan's Famous is also the site of the annual 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest, which has gotten huge international publicity over the past few years.

california
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Gotta give the nod to Gray's and King. For the experience, Nathan's at CI....AND.....

Yankee Dogs at the Stadium - can't think of a better place in the whole world to eat a hot dog.

BTW, the difference between a Yankeee Dog and a Fenway Frank? Yankee Dogs are served in October. ;-)

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

A hot dog at Yankee Stadium...

That's really unfair! There's no such thing as a bad hot dog at ANY ballpark in the country!!!

Is there any place in NY, other than the pushcarts, where you can get those onions in the spicy tomato based sauce on the dog? I LOVE that stuff.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

Funny, keyfan:)

california
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Ultimate New york Hot dog??

The onions you speak of are part and parcel of the offerings at Gray's Papaya, Papaya King, etc. Eat one of the push-cart dogs at you own peril.

With respect to Yankee Dogs, I couldn't care less about the dog itself, I just can't think of anywhere better to eat one. Other MLB parks would all be preferable to most ther places, but would rank a distant second to THE Stadium. On this there can be no debate! Ha! :-)