We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Itinerary-1st Attempt

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
January Itinerary-1st Attempt

I'm coming to NYC in January 2015 on my own (excited and nervous!) and would really appreciate any comments/suggestions on my plans for the week:

Thursday 1st

Get taxi from JFK to Sofitel hotel, arrive in afternoon. Probably just stay local to hotel and wander over to Times Square. Was considering seeing a show, is it likely i would get a ticket on the day or is it better to book? Also possible TOTR, again is it easy to get tickets on the day?

Friday 2nd

Visit Grand Central Station, Chrysler Building, Bloomingdales, shopping along 5th Avenue, Rockerfella Centre

Saturday 3rd

Bryant Park market, ESB, NY library, Macy's, possibly walk over to Flat Iron building.

Sunday 4th

Central Park, American Musuem of Natural History.

Monday 5th

SOL- planning to book early ticket, possibly walk Brooklyn Bridge (or half!), 9/11 memorial, Century 21.

Tuesday 6th

Not sure yet but thinking of Brooklyn Zoo, is this easy to get to from Manhatten?

Wednesday 7th

Leave luggage at hotel and see anything else I've missed.

Are there any specific days that you would recommend certain attractions or days to avoid? I plan on doing a lot of walking, hopefully doable, and may buy a week subway ticket. I've been to NYC before but never alone and am slightly worried about getting lost as have no sense of direction but will get a good map before I set off!!

Thanks.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

Do you mean the Bronx Zoo, or the Prospect Park Zoo in Brooklyn?

One is Prospect Park Station of the B or Q train (B only on weekdays), the other is "177th St-West Farms Sq.", on the 2 and 5 trains (but not the 5 in the evening rush hour).

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

If you are in the numbered streets area (most of Manhattan), it is easy to get around: the streets run from east to west, and higher numbered streets are northerly. There are 20 to a mile. The avenues run north and south and the higher numbered avenues are westerly. There are 7 numbered avenues to a mile.

Lexington is like 3.5 Avenue, Park is like 4th Avenue, and Madison is like 4.5 Avenue. Broadway runs at a slight diagonal and goes mostly north to south. Every big "square" in New York is an intersection of a major numbered street (and a major Avenue) with Broadway, like Times Square is 42nd St at 7th Avenue at Broadway. Union Square is 14th and Park (4th) and Broadway.

It's one long narrow grid, from 0 to 225, and 1st to 12th Avenue. Below 1st St (below Greenwich Village), there are 2 miles worth of named streets.

It is not nearly as complicated as London, or Reading for that matter.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

Sorry, I meant Bronx Zoo. Still trying to make sense of the subway map!

Durban, South Africa
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

Hi there, cant answer any of your question's unfortunately but we are also coming to NYC in Jan, first time, all the way from South Africa so keen to see what responses you get!

PS We using the hop on hop off bus to get around, hope its a good choice.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

The HOHO bus is a terrible way to get around and should not be used for that purpose.

As to the OP your itinerary looks good. It's not jam packed and leaves plenty of time to explore what you want to see as well as anything else you come across along the way.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
346 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

Personally I would ease off on plans for your first day.With a 6 hour time difference you may be more tired than you think.I would not see a show on your first night here.

The only zoo i am aware of in Brooklyn is the Prospect Park Zoo. I much prefer the Bronx Zoo. It's a longer ride from Midtown, but very easy viia a subway. Look both up on google and then make your decision.

I like your plan. It leaves plenty of time to explore and you can easily adjust your days in case of bad weather

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

The subway map gets easier to read if you focus on the left section (Manhattan only) and also focus on one color at a time. That's the easiest way to make sense of it, not necessarily the easiest way to find your destination, but it helps break it up into managable sections.

Red = 7th Avenue (Bway north of 42th): Trains are: 1,2,3

Yellow = Broadway (7th north of 42nd), Trains are: N,Q,R

Orange = 6th Avenue (from 3rd to 50th St.): Trains are B,D,F,M

Blue = 8th Avenue (from 3 to 145th St) Trains are A,C,E

Green = Lexington and Park Avenues (east side subway) Trains are 4,5,6

There are 4 sometimes useful crosstown pieces:

The L on 14th St.

The 7 and the 42nd St. Shuttle (S) on 42 St.

The E and M on 53 St.

The N, Q, R on 59th St.

Nobody calls the trains by their color, but by their major avenue or their letter/number.

See, not so hard...

Here is the map again:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Here is the service guide that everybody forgets goes with the map:

http://web.mta.info/maps/service_guide.pdf

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

Thanks for all the advice, I will start studying those maps!

Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

I too would leave the Broadway show for another night. You may end up falling asleep during the show after your long flight. Most of your other nights seem free, so move it to another night.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January Itinerary-1st Attempt

As for whether to buy ahead or wait until the day of the show, you need to consider your budget (do you need discounts or can you afford full price?) Also, what show do you want to see? Some shows sell out months in advance. Also, how particular about where you sit? The sooner you get a ticket, the better your seat will be.

Read this article on buying show tickets:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…