We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking kids into bars in NYC?

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taking kids into bars in NYC?

Hi all, as our time draws nearer more and more questions are entering our heads, sorry.

We are, myself, my partner and her 13 year old daughter, we are planning a bit of a wandering type of tour in October. Our question is if we feel like grabbing a break in a bar are we allowed to take our 13 year old girl in with us or is she definitely not allowed into these types of establishments?

Obviously we wouldn't just rock up to the bar and plonk ourselves down and order up big and get smashed, I'm sure it would be a nice quiet visit to have a spell and sit at a nice comfortable table or booth or something like that. Any thoughts and/or hints and tips would be fantastic thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

<<I'm sure it would be a nice quiet visit to have a spell and sit at a nice comfortable table or booth or something like that.>>

As long as they serve food most places will allow it. She cannot sit at the bar but a table is fine usually. Every establishment can make their own rules. Some places will allow kids up until a certain hour and then turn more of a bar scene.

But, honestly, with the thousands of places to eat and drink in NYC you will not have a problem finding a place even if it's just for a drink without eating.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 05:48
alberta
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

We went into 3 or 4 bar/restaurants when in NYC and kids were always present. Found it interesting as where we live that is very illegal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
415 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

As stated if they are sitting at a table shouldn't be any issue. Many bars in Nyc have outdoor and table seating, but of course children are not technically allowed to sit at a bar whether consuming alcohol or not.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

As stated, if the bar serves food, you are welcome to sit at a table with children. If they don't, the great majority will not allow you in.

(I have actually seen some bars(no restaurant) that will let kids inside....and had them sit at the actual bar.

These are more local places and during off hours serving locals.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

I went to bars with my dad as a child. I have taken my child to bars. (Both before about 7 pm, obviously.)

Going to a pub is a perfectly acceptable family activity and allows the child the joyful experience of consuming deep-fried food. And may I recommend our fine beer gardens for a true family drinking experience?

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

Thanks to everyone for their very helpful feedback, jhwanderer we are staying in Long Island City and as we are from Australia we do love a beer garden, can you recommend any around where we are staying, Nesva Hotel, or even in Manhattan?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

Beer Gardens where kids are allowed.

redtri.com/new-york/…

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

The most famous beer garden in NYC is easily accessible from the Nesva: the Bohemian Beer Garden in Astoria. It is 100% family friendly; we've even had toddler birthday parties there, kinda. Take the N from 39th Avenue to Ditmars, just a few stops, and it's two blocks away. They also have food. It's a real classic.

http://www.bohemianhall.com/en/Index.php

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,018 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

Bohemian Hall is fun. Ditmars is the last stop on the N/Q. Just walk two blocks back along the subway tracks and turn right. There are also some good Greek restaurants with great seafood nearby as well.

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking kids into bars in NYC?

All excellent information guys I'm now armed with some fantastic details and will definitely be visiting at least a couple of these during our stay, hope we can see some of you there.