We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Union square

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Union square

Hi Planning our trip for May or August next year , looking at 250 to 300 night plus taxes. The area around Union square appeals. Does anyone have hotel recommendations within a few blocks , and near transport, thanks

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,017 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Union square

The entire union square area is near transport.

After much deliberation I picked the Hyatt Union Sqaure in Union Square for this upcoming "trip". Paying within your budget

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Union square

We stayed at Hotel Verite and loved it and loved the location. It's a fairly new boutique hotel. Go for one with windows. It should be within your budget. We would happily stay there again. Plenty of shops, restaurants & the markets. Actually too many nice shops if you ask my husband lol!

USA
Level Contributor
12,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Union square

Hyatt Union Square is in the middle of it all, very convenient and a short walk to many great neighborhoods.

If you have a choice, pick May, typically the weather is much nicer in May than August. Although we are having a lovely stretch of weather at the moment.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Union square

Hotel prices fluctuate dramatically by date so what will be within budget will depend on the dates. W Union Square and Hyatt are both very nice but may be over budget.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Union square

May can be more expensive than August, but I agree that it's a much nicer time to go. August heat can be oppressive and limit your activities.

Your budget is fine for some dates, but will be a stretch for others - especially if it's meant to include taxes (which adds ~15%). I don't think you'll see rates that low for Hyatt Union Square in May. It's also very early to see realistic rates (many hotels are showing higher "rack rates"), so you'll have some uncertainty about what they will be adjusted to closer to the date.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Union square

The Jade îs also not far from Union Square and a lovely outique hoel, but their rooms are quite small. Have a look on

Oyster.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,575 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Union square

Great information above.

I'm going to say that you may need to compromise - either with location or budget, if you're visiting in May (although there are handful of hotels I've never heard of and rather not recommend). I like the idea of expanding your location search, maybe you wouldn't mind Greenwich Village or East Village

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Union square

These days Union Square is more of a location than a neighborhood. The only hotel right on Union Square is the W. The Hyatt is only a couple of blocks south on the square, in the East Village. The Inn on Irving Place is a block east, in Gramercy. Hotel Verite and the Chelsea Inn are both in Flatiron - Verite is only a couple of blocks north of Union Square, and Chelsea Inn is a couple of blocks west.

Closer to the 23rd Street subways, but still in the same general area, are the Gramercy Park Hotel (6 train) and the Comfort Inn Chelsea, which - like the Chelsea Inn - is not in Chelsea but rather in Flatiron, steps from Madison Square Park and the N/R train.

Also in Flatiron near to Madison Square Park and the 23rd Street stations are the Flatiron Hotel and the Wyndham Garden Manhattan Chelsea West. (This one cracks me up - West Chelsea is over by the Hudson River and High Line. This hotel is so far east in "Chelsea" that it's actually east of 6th Avenue, putting it in Flatiron. HA!)

South from Union Square, in pretty Greenwich Village locations, are the Jade and the Marlton. Both are an easy walk to the 14th Street subway stations - and they are near Washington Square Park, too.

Have fun exploring your options and planning your trip! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Union square

Thank you all. So many options. Trying not to overthink it and just choose a few places to pre book and narrow it down to one closer to the time

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Union square

I like the look of the marlton , has anyone stayed there ?