We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is open table booking reliable?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is open table booking reliable?

Just booked first restaurant on open table for Del Frisco's- It said the only table for Nov 4th 2014 was 9pm- Which was what I wanted.

Is this 100% confirmed now?

I also want to ask how soon in advance can I book these restaurants

Gotham Bar and Grill

Buddakan

Also I can find how to book Don Antonio

Thanks

Edited: 08 August 2014, 17:17
Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

Opentable is 100% reliable as long as you've got the email confirmation. I've been using it for years and NEVER had a problem. I've even accumulated a couple of $100 gift certificates over the years. Just remember that not all restaurants offer all of their tables on opentable. Sometimes, when a restaurant is showing no availability, it could mean one of several reasons, including booking too far out, some restaurants "hold out" a few tables for last minute VIPs, etc.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

Im guessing its around 1month before..?

I know ive spoke to peter lugers and that 2months before

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

My experience with OpenTable has been the same as daninny - have used them for years and never NOT had a reservation as long as I had the confirmation E-mail. Plus you can always check your account on-line to confirm that the reservation is there.

The only problem I have ever had is that sometimes the maître d' will forget to confirm when I have showed up. Not only does this cost me the meal points, it also registers me as a "no-show". if you get too many no-shows, then OpenTable will suspend your account. The confirmation usually appears immediately as soon as your party is seated. I always check on my mobile device to make sure I got credit for the visit. If it doesn't show up by the end of the meal, then I will mention it to the maître d' to make sure they confirm the visit.

Never had a problem with the reservation not being made, though.

-JimG

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

That's good to know regarding checking that the restaurant has confirmed your presence. Would hate to lose the points.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

Is it worth booking Minetta Tavern and Max brennar for lunch? I don't really want to be on a strict time limit.

We were thinking going to mentta for lunch around 1pm,should I expect a big wait?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

Ive had different experiences with Open Table - but luckily the restaurant was always able to find a table. In 2-3 cases, though I was confirmed on Open Table - the restaurant had no record.

And, in every case after I got home, I got the "you didnt show up for your reservation" message

very strange, but I'm back to calling the restaurant.

suitcaseready.com

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

It is common (this even happened to me with their UK associate) to get a phone call the day before to reconfirm. This could be a problem if you're traveling or can't get to a phone. As hinted, many restaurants don't put 100% of the allocation online, either because they've gotten burned with large parties canceling, or they know the value of catering to LOCAL walk-ins.

I used to think that you get a better experience if you book live on the phone, but recent experience hasn't particularly shown me any confirmation that way. I have been very welcome with my very-occasional OpenTable, even though it costs the restaurant something.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

Ye basically stuffed if they try to ring and phone does not work in the USA?

Edited: 08 August 2014, 18:13
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

Minetta Tavern is awesome is you like meat. Their Black label burger is super awesome.

And Open Table is great. I always use it. If i am unable to get a reservation then i just call a rest. and try to work something out.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is open table booking reliable?

I currently have 18K OpenTable points (and my husband has >20K...we obviously need to cash out!). I've never shown up and not had a reservation. As mentioned, make sure you get a confirmation email when you book - once you have that, you should be all set!

I often get confirmation calls the day before, but the only place that has ever left a message saying they'd cancel my reservation if I didn't call back is Gato. Which irritates me, but I do like Gato. :)

On two occasions the maitre'd forgot to register my arrival and I got a no-show email from OpenTable. I disputed both times and the matter was cleared up quickly. (As mentioned, it's not just about getting the points, it's about not getting banned from using the website),

I'm surprised that Del Frisco's is taking November reservations already. Most restaurants only take reservations about a month in advance - 28 days, 30 days, or one calendar month depending on the place.

The only restaurants we don't book through OT are the top-end ones, places with 3 Michelin stars. For those reservations we call the restaurant.

Happy eating!