We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween for solo traveler.

Sheffield, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Halloween for solo traveler.

I'm heading to NYC in late oct and am debating staying for halloween this year (I usually leave a couple of days before so get all the build up but never actually stay).

Does anyone have any recomendations/How safe is it (comparatively to normal) for a solo female traveller in her mid-20's?

(It wont be my first time travelling to NYC alone)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

We have walked in the parade for many, many years as it is the biggest costume party in the USA as it is attended by almost 2 million people either IN the parade or watching it from the side lines. This will be the 41th anniversary of the Parade..,,,you will not be alone.

For more information, see:

http://www.halloween-nyc.com

london,uk
Level Contributor
596 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

I'm watching this as I'm going next year but with a small group. Is there any reason why it's not a safe time to hang about? I haven't thought about that. Wouldn't it be the same as any other time? I think it will be quite magical.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

....Is there any reason why it's not a safe time to hang about?..."

You will be in good company...about 2 million, Enjoy.

CH

Edited: 09 August 2014, 02:23
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

We were there last Halloween with our daughter who was 10 at the time and loved it!

Completely safe!! So many people out and about that night so it was a fantastic experience, especially seeing so many people dressed up. Was too crowded for us to see the parade but the atmosphere of just being there was awesome.

And only scary thing we encountered was one guy who was only dressed in his underpants and nothing else except a helmet, cape and a bit of face paint and he didn't look like he has ever been to the gym! :-D

Go! :-)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

**Is there any reason why it's not a safe time to hang about? **

Not at all. It's a great time to be down in the Village before and after the parade.

-Get there a little early if you want to get a good spot to watch the parade.

-Don't wear your new shows.

-Bonus points for wearing a costume.

-The bars around the area are a great to hang out before and especially after the parade.

-Expect CROWDS.

-Did I mention that there are bonus points for costumes?

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

I think the parade was more fun when the West Village gay population was still with us and wore very elaborate costumes. Things could be a bit outrageous and not family friendly, but this aspect has largely vanished. It is a fun event, but a very crowded one. I do not recall hearing of any particular safety problems associated with this parade.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

When I was single probably the best time of the year but if your not it doesn't matter you will have a great time wear a costume it's awesome, but I don't know if I would hang around there afterwards gets so busy and all the bars r filled. It's a little annoying. Go down to the meat packing district for clubs and some bars a little more expensive but not as packed.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

I did the Halloween Parade last year and LOVED it. Now, I didn't hang around on the sidelines, I was a marcher. I got flagged down by a fair number of people on the sidelines, who wanted pics, which was pretty cool. It helped that I had an interesting costume, inspired by a huge midtown office tower that I like :)

So bring a cool costume and have a great time! I plan to do it again this year :)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

Having lived here for 40+ our memories may be fading some but we remember the Village Halloween Parade from early 1970's to be quite a family affair with parents and kids in-tow. While it was easy for sub-urban kids to go trick or treating, prior to the early 1970's that was not as easy for kids in the Village and folks would walk them in costumes through the West Village in the afternoon and early evenings.

What "treat" for everyone!

CH

10. Re: Halloween for solo traveler.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16