We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

Hi everyone: I've been scouring the Internet in order to put together a weekend trip in celebration of my daughter's 16th birthday. She loves Broadway musicals, all things Japanese, punk music and is a vegetarian (quite a mash-up). So I'm emptying the bank account and buying tix to Book of Mormon and Avenue Q and we're heading to NYC Columbus Day weekend. Here's our itinerary thus far. It's quite open since she's been to NYC before and has seen many of the popular touristy spots. I'd like to explore some of the less popular sights which would appeal to her adolescent age group.

Friday: Arrive at the Newark airport 6:18pm. Take the AirTrain to Penn Station. Walk to the Chelsea Savoy Hotel for check-in. Eat in Chelsea or someplace close by? After dinner - Any recommendations for a place for live music that allows under 21 entrance?

Saturday: The day is open since Avenue Q doesn't begin until 8pm

Shopping/exploring/eating:

My daughter wants to go to shops that specialize in Japanese goods such as Toy Tokyo, Forbidden Planet, Kinokuniya Bookstore, etc. Any more suggestions? What are your thoughts about the restaurants near St. Marks Place? Any with vegetarian selections?

She also loves bubble tea and NYC is inundated with these shops! Teado's reviews looked good. Does anyone have a favorite?

Maybe go to the Japan Society's art gallery. There's a new art show opening. Worth the trip?

Any other suggestions for exploring particular neighborhoods that would appeal to a teen's perspective.

Sunday:

Only plan is the BOM matinee at 2pm

The whole day is OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS.

Monday:

Our flight leaves Newark at 12:25pm. What time should we leave for the airport? Will we be affected by the parade craziness?

Thanks so much!!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 15:43
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

" She loves Broadway musicals..."

Here LIes Love, which is at the Public Theater and is off Broadway, should be on your list

www.herelieslove.com

reviews www.didhelikeit.com/shows/here-lies-love.html

Discounts theatermania.com/off-broadway/…

Ignore where it says that it closes Sept 6, it's on an open ended run

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

For neighborhoods - Greenwich Village. It's big, so you might explore different sections at different times. You're already planning on St. Mark's Place, but plan on doing more exploring.

For music, Cafe Wha? in the village.

For restaurants near St. Mark's Place, Momofuku noodle bar could be a great choice if you don't mind going just a bit out of your way. Here's an article on their vegetarian ramen: …eater.com/archives/2014/06/is_momofukus_mea…

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

Wow. This looks great! She loves to dance. Thanks.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

Thanks for the info. I thought that she would enjoy exploring the Village as well. David Chang seems to be very controversial ie. people love him or hate him. (I read the comments to the review.)

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

@LivesInNewJersey: I just bought our discounted tix to Here Lies Love. Thanks so much for the suggestion and link. The show looks terrific and will be a great start to the weekend.

Since the show is at 10:30pm, can anyone suggest a restaurant near the Public Theater (at Astor Place and E 4th St.) which is vegetarian-friendly for dinner before?

NYC
Level Contributor
45 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

The New York Times did an article within the last six months about Japanese things - food, shopping etc. - in New York. The Met has an absolutely stunning exhibit of Japanese painting on. Finally, if you make it out to Brooklyn there is the Japanese garden at the Botanical garden. It's best when the cherries are in bloom but it is pretty all year round.

NYC
Level Contributor
45 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

The New York Times did an article within the last six months about Japanese things - food, shopping etc. - in New York. The Met has an absolutely stunning exhibit of Japanese painting on. Finally, if you make it out to Brooklyn there is the Japanese garden at the Botanical garden. It's best when the cherries are in bloom but it is pretty all year round. And if you go to the botanical garden check out chuko ramen on Vanderbilt avenue for lunch. It's a 15 to 20 minute walk from the garden but worth it. The veggie ramen is incredible!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

There's lots of places around the Public Theater to eat -- it's a terrific area and don't be surprised if your 16yo wants to move there. But I suggest creating a post with that question specifically to get the best answer

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

@marcusandgriffin Thank you for the suggestions about the art exhibit and Botanical garden. The Japanese exhibit closes in September but maybe there will be something else at another gallery. Also, do you have the link to the NYT article. I can't seem to find it in my search.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for trip with 16yo who loves music and and anime

"...She loves.....all things Japanese..."

Then she will be blown away by the Japan Society gallery and programs at 333 East 47th Street (between 1st & 2nd Avenues), especially the student programs. For more information, see:

http://www.japansociety.org/

CH