We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which cab company?

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
Which cab company?

Dial7 or Groundlink?

Dial7 is the cheaper but how does their service compare?

We are two from JFK to St Giles Court Manhattan on a weekday 15:30 pickup with 1 checked bag and two carry-on..

Have read the FAQ on transfers - very interesting.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 16:18
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which cab company?

Hey emakem:-) Having taken hundreds of cabs to/from airports, I've only used www.dial7.com/ and www.carmellimo.com/ throughout the years and although I use the latter pretty exclusively, never had any issues with either.. but usually use a car service to get TO the airport.. and easy enough to just grab a cab back to the City from JFK.. it's a flat rate that will total $65-70 all in;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which cab company?

Just read the service terms and conditions and now thinking a cab from the line at a set fare would be better than an open ended $53 or $65.

I see that with the pre-booked service you have to phone them. That will be difficult given that we don't have a US phone at that time and probably no small change. Any advice on that too?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which cab company?

.. there will be courtesy phones for the car service companies for you to contact them:-) Nonetheless, I always find it easier just hoping in a cab to get back to the City! Keep Enjoyin'!

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which cab company?

Try GoGreenRide. I liked them

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/go-green-ride-new-york

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which cab company?

I see you need to have a log-in account for Go Green Ride. I am not to keen on giving my email address.

I think if we can, "just hop in a cab to get to the City!" as easy as Litsa makes it appear, we will take that.

In our world travels we have encountered 40 minute queues for cabs.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which cab company?

.. well, not saying there won't be a line, but usually and IME traveling out of JFK hundreds of times, the line moves pretty quickly! On occasion, when there was a long line, I called a car service on the spot and was usually in a car in about 10 min;-) Enjoyin'!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which cab company?

**I think if we can, "just hop in a cab to get to the City!" as easy as Litsa makes it appear, we will take that.**

I have never experienced more that 10 minutes at JFK. Just jump on the line and you should have no problem.

England
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which cab company?

emakem, we have just returned from the East Coast and when we arrived at JFK at about 2 pm we were in a cab within 5 minutes of leaving the terminal. Easy peasy and as previously mentioned we paid the driver $70 on arrival at our hotel, including the toll and tip. Journey took just under one hour to the Upper West Side. Go for it ! We travelled with 4 people and a suitcase each, the dispatcher made sure we got the right size car to fit our luggage. Hope that helps.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which cab company?

Also agree, don't be put off if the line seems long. There are literally hundreds of cabs waiting in a holding lot a few minutes away. The dispatcher calls as needed and they just keep coming!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which cab company?

I have just received an email from the hotel having asked if they can arrange a transfer.

This is their reply:

Our hotel uses Go Air link that is able to pick you up from the airport and transport you to the hotel. The charge is $21.50 per person. If you would like to make a reservation please provide the following…

Flight info/time

Cc info (w/ security code)

# of luggage

That would appear to include the tolls but I must confirm that.