We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice Skating in New York City

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ice Skating in New York City

Hello, I will be visiting NYC in November 2014 and am wanting to experience ice skating at an outdoor rink e.g. surrounded by trees etc Can anyone suggest which rink would be best for this?

Thank you

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,338 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/

bryantpark.org/things-to-do/wintervillage.ht…

No trees, but the Rockefeller Center rink is a classic: www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php…

Edited: 11 August 2014, 01:37
Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

The other skating rink in Central Park is the Lasker Rink, all the way up at the north end of the park:

http://www.laskerrink.com/

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

We like the Rockefeller Center rink.

CH

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

Wollman Rink and Bryant Park are probably the best for trees and most convenient if you're staying in midtown or below. The difference is Wollman is in a bigger park with more trees and you can see the skyscrapers beyond (especially cool at night) which are rather far away compared to Bryant Park. Bryant Park is smaller (2 city blocks high x 1city block wide) so the rink is smaller, the trees are closer, and the buildings are right across the street. Depends what you're looking for.

There's a new rink in Prospect Park (Brooklyn) that I haven't tried yet but I would imagine there are trees but not as many tall buildings. To me, the buildings rising above the trees are what make it special.

Wollman is usually less crowded at night than Bryant Park, but it isn't open every night.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

The Standard Hotel also sets up a rink but it is very small.

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

I started a blog last year to reviewing the various NYC ice rinks. My favorite is Bryant Park, provided you go earlier in the day before it gets too crowded. Another tip: if it's cold, the rink will be less busy and once you gst started skating, you will warm up and not notice the temperature. It's in a park so there are trees around but it's also in the heart of Manhattan so when you look up there are high-rises all around you. It's a remarkable and unique view. Here is a panoramic photo I took a few years ago. You can see some high-rises and the back of the NY Public Library on the right. http://s28.postimg.org/75eb62k19/photo_6.jpg

One more thing about Bryant Park: they play classic, American Songbook songs and standards, and occasionally pop music. The other places, like Trump/Wollman and Lasker play thumping pop music all the time.

You mentioned visiting in November. By then, Rockefeller (very pricey) will be open (opens Oct. 11), as well Trump/Wollman (approx Oct. 20), Bryant Park (Oct. 21) and Lasker (late Oct.). Here is a complete list of NYC ice rink opening dates for the 2014-15 season. …blogspot.com/2014/09/new-york-city-ice-rink…

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

I have some updates after calling the various rinks:

Wollman Rink (south end of Central Park): opening Friday, Oct. 24

LeFrak Center (Prospect Park): opening Saturday, Oct. 25

Lasker Rink (north end of Central Park): opening Monday, Oct. 27

And Bryant Park did indeed open Oct. 21 as scheduled.

I'll keep updating here: …blogspot.com/2014/09/new-york-city-ice-rink… as I get more information.

8. Re: Ice Skating in New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2015, 06:16