We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions about our stay in NYC

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions about our stay in NYC

Hi All

We will be spending 4 nights (3 full days) in NYC in September with 2 Adults and 2 kids (boys aged 7 and 9) and just have a few questions to ask.

1) What is the best way to get from JFK to our hotel (near Times Square). I am thinking either cab or a car service (have heard that Dial 7 is good) - what would be the approximate cost do you think for a cab?

2) Is it worth buying a New York City Pass http://www.citypass.com/new-york or New York Pass https:/… for both cost and convenience (ie ticket lines etc??) We will be aiming to see the following attractions

- Top of the Rock or Empire State Building

- Statue of Liberty

- American Museum of Natural History

- World Trade Centre Memorial

3) Cycling Central park - any good deals with hiring bikes and I have heard that you can't cycle in some areas so just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I noticed that the NY Pass includes bike hiring.

4) Transfers from Times Square to Newark to pick up our hire car for the rest of the trip - again cab or car service and approximate costs.

I think that is it. I have been to NYC once before and some of those attractions so I know a little bit about what to expect however that was with no kids and was part of a prize which included transfers and a city pass so I haven't had to purchase these at all.

Thanks Heaps

Tars

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

1) cab or car service like Dial 7 is~$70 including tip and any tolls.

2) the passes rarely save substantial money. With the things you want to see, order tickets for SOL if you want to go there on

Statuecruises.com

The only way to get dated timed tix. If you just want to pass by, any of the cruises will work.

ESB ahould be pre purchased online o save time.

3) biking can be fun but not the best way to see the park. Bikes are limited vs. walking paths.

4) car service is usually cheaper than taxi. Train is cheaper still. Are you sure you have to o to Newark for a car?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

If you are on a desktop computer, check the link top right "How do I get from the airport to Manhattan?"

Most people would advise against the City Pass. Given that your list is only 4 items, even moreso.

Top of the Rock is better than Empire State Building I think. For one, 360 degree views. If you do go to ESB, avoid the street-level salesmen, they can be aggressive.

Use this forum's search tool to find posts about cycling in Central Park (and your other questions as well). I can't recall specifics but I know there are rentals near the park, and even guided rides (which I think would be good). And of course there's CitiBike, $10/day or $25/week pass, be sure you understand it is meant for short-term trips and the bike has to be returned to a station every 30 minutes...but you can then re-use the bike for another 30 minutes.

Have a great trip.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

Thanks nywhiz and LarryD so far for the info that you have provided.

nywhiz - just a followup from you Newark rental car collection - We chose this location as we assumed it would be relatively easy to get too considering it is an airport and it appeared to be the cheapest that we could find going around. However would be more than happy to receive any other suggestions if you have any!! We will be heading to Cape Cod after leaving NYC.

Cheers

TarsB

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

Hi there - my wife and I were in NYC and did the same taxi journeys as you.

Firstly the taxi from JFK to our hotel near Times Square was a fixed fare of $52 plus $6 extras (tolls?) total $58. With tip we paid a total of $70 - good value for two people plus heavy bags after a long tiring flight.

Secondly we took a taxi from our hotel to Newark to pick up a hire car when we left NYC. This was not so easy - the driver used his satnav but couldn't find the hire depot at Newark. I gave him an exact address in writing but he still couldn't find it -- in the end he had to call them and get directions. the cost was a lot more than getting in to NYC from JFK - we ended up paying $87.50 plus tip. Not good value given the poor service received. Might be better to book car in advance, they may be better at finding the depot!

Re Central Park - we visited on a Sunday (on foot) and found that cars are banned in the park on Sundays. So if you are cycling I would recommend doing it on a Sunday, much ore relaxing (and safer?)

Re the 9/11 museum - allow several hours, there's lots of detail, it's very well done. We did a guided tour then went round again by ourselves, very moving.

Re City Pass - we didn't bother, I think it only pays if you of lots of things each day.

Have fun!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

cars are banned in central park all weekend and on weekdays except during rush hours.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

Just a couple more comments about your post -

Re your visit to Cape Cod - we went there too after New York. If you want any tips re places to go in the Falmouth area then let me know.

Re where to pick up your hire car - we collected ours from Newark but returned it to JFK. The JFK depot seemed a lot better set up, and maybe easier to find. Also it looks like the taxi fare from Manhattan may be less. So if we do the same again we would pick up the hire car from JFK not Newark...

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,598 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

Here is an article on how to determine if a pass is worth it for you:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

Thanks everyone. All your advice is much appreciated.

tidynige - we had a look at pick up and drop off at JFK as well to avoid the $50 oneway drop off fee however rental due to the airport tax is around $1000 more expensive for the same time period!! Any hints and tips on Cape Cod would be good though! We are thinking so far one day over at Martha's vineyard - bike ride around there, and then another day just exploring the Cape - maybe drive down to Provincetown.

Thanks for that article Cyblume too - will check it out.

Cheers

TarsB

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

Hi TarsB

Here's a few recommendations based on what we did. I've posted reviews for most of it on Tripadvisor if it helps...

Breakfast - Moonakis cafe near Falmouth - great breakfast although you may have to wait as its so popular

Dinner pub - Bobby Byrne's Mashpee Commons - not the loveliest location (outdoor shopping mall) but good food/beer and service at a reasonable price

Cape Cod Railroad for a half-day trip on a traditional train, not spectacular but relaxing with a good guide

Marthas Vineyard - we went on the Island Queen from Falmouth and then did a guided bus tour which we picked up at Oak Bluffs - it's the one promoted on the ferry, cost $33 per person. The tour was on an old school bus and was a good way to see the island - I guess you could cycle but it's a fair way and you won't get the benefit of a guide to tell you about the place.

Hope this helps!

Tidynige

10. Re: Some questions about our stay in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:17