We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of NYC

Davao City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best of NYC

Hello guys, My husband and I are coming to NY on jan.2015 for 6 days and 5 nights with my parents and his. This is not my first time in NY but it is for my parents and in-laws including my husband. I have planned an initial itinerary but I'am still unsure. Any suggestions?

1. 1- whole day to Washington DC

2. New york City tour (suggestion for a tour with fully guided tour)

3. Broadway show (thinking of les miserables or mama mia)

4. flea market shopping

5. central park

6. SoHo & Tribeca

Need your expert advice guys. Thank You and have a nice day.=)

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
SoHo
SoHo
3,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
265 Reviews
New York City, NY
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of NYC

How about the Empire State Building and/or Top of the Rock observatories? or (our favorite) the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the 911 Memorial & Museum? or an opera at Lincoln Center or a Broadway show? or the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island? or a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge or through our neighborhood, Greenwich Village?

CH

Mentioned in this post
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,063 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum...
48,118 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,879 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,429 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,036 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,498 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of NYC

Obviously this is a loose itinerary, but lemme throw out a couple of guidelines.

A day trip to Washington DC is a looooong day. It can be done, but it takes a long time to get to DC. A plane takes 80-90 minutes, but you have to allow an extra 90 minutes for check in and 30 minutes travel time to the airport (if not a lot more). The fast train (Acela) takes 3 hours to reach DC, and the local train takes 3 hours, 30 minutes. So no matter which way you do it, it is a day where you are spending 7 hours travelling and, if you're lucky, 8-9 hours seeing the sights. It also means being up from 6 AM until close to midnight. It's your call, but for me, on a 6-day trip to NYC I would just stay and soak up more of NYC. One other thought is Philadelphia is also filled with great American history and is only a 90-minute train ride.

Make sure to do your flea market shopping on a weekend. That's when all of the good ones (Brooklyn Flea, LIC Flea, Upper West Side, Hell's Kitchen, Hester Street Fair, Brooklyn Night Bazaar, etc.) are open.

And you'll have lots of time on your other three days for much more than just Broadway, Central Park, and Soho/Tribeca. So get thinking about what other kinds of things you want to see. CassaHoffa had a great list to start you thinking.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
378 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
802 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hell's Kitchen
Hell's Kitchen
255 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hester Street Fair
Hester Street Fair
27 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Night Bazaar
Brooklyn Night Bazaar
30 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,380 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
265 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of NYC

For such a short trip I wouldn't waste the time going to Washington for the reasons stated in post #2. You could easily spend 6 months in NYC and not see everything, so make the most of your time and stay in the city.

Although you've been before it makes it hard for us to give you suggestions without knowing a) what you've seen and b) what interests the others have. Museums, art, shopping, sports, sports, history, music, theatre, the list is endless. Help us help you by letting us know what everyone's interests are.

Generally though, I'd say be sure to explore different parts of the city. Greenwich Village, Brooklyn maybe even Harlem...

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,498 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Harlem
Harlem
1,058 Reviews
New York City, NY
Davao City...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of NYC

Thanks for the interesting suggestions guys, I am having second thoughts of DC. Our folks wanted to see what NYC's best of everything the liberty, the broadway, shopping (which me & my hubby would enjoy but we are going to LA) BTW guys, we're from the Philippines. When I was there couple of years ago, it was snowing that's why we didn't get to do almost everything except for a NYC day tour. Any suggestions that is not a HOHO tour? Our folks are in their 50-60's already it may not be easy for them to HOHO. We looked at DC tour which is a 13-hour tour, our folks would like to see the white house. Is it worth it to go to the belvedere castle? and i would really love to see central park, the last time i was there the tour guide only took us to the strawberry fields and the imagine area. I would like to make the most out of it.

THANK YOU GUYS really appreciate your inputs.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Best of NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17