We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

Hi

My boyfriend and I are going to be making a day trip to Coney Island and going to the US Open Tennis at Flushing on the same day. What is the best way to get from Coney Island to flushing? Is the subway the best way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

There are several subway lines that serve Coney Island. One route would be to take the F train to 74th St., Jackson Heights, Queens (about 1 hour 15 mins.) then transfer upstairs to the elevated 7 train towards Flushing. The Tennis Center is about 15 mins from there.

A more scenic route would be to transfer to the 7 train at 42nd St.-Bryant Park in Manhattan. The 7 train becomes elevated in Queens and provides a short but dramatic view of Manhattan. The 7 train has both express and local service in the afternoon rush hour to Flushing, but both trains will stop at the Tennis Center stop.

Going from Coney Island to Flushing is a long trip.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 14:00
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

The distance from Coney Island to Flushing in a straight line is about 23 km. The only practical mode of public transportation is the subway. The subways were designed to bring people in and out of Manhattan and service between other boroughs usually involves going to Manhattan.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

Itrs a bit difficult (Long not hard) to get from Flushng to Coney Island by Subway, it takes a long time.

I live in Flushing and honestly I drive to Coney Island

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

I find the F train to be pretty slow in Brooklyn. I would take the N train from Coney Island to "Queensboro Plaza" (an outdoor stop after Lexington Avenue station) and then change for the #7 train, same platform, opposite side. If it's a weekday afternoon, wait for a #7 Express, not the local. It only makes 3 stops to Willets Point station.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

**One route would be to take the F train to 74th St., Jackson Heights, Queens (about 1 hour 15 mins.) **

^^

HIGHLY doubtful.

I took the F train(my local train) from CI to my stop(Bergen Street) to and fro this past Saturday. Appr 40 minutes. NO way you can get from Bergen Street to Jackson heights in 35 minutes.

It is definitely do-able. But it is a LONG ride.

(Part of the G train is closed for repair now, but that would have been the shortcut w/o going through the city.- F > G > 7.)

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

My time estimates were based on the published MTA schedules. I have not made the trip in ages.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 17:59
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

^^

Understand...

MTA schedule in this case is WAY off base. I take the F from Bergen Street to 63/Lex daily and that is appr 35/40 minutes. And we have to even hit Queens yet.

OP....I would consider CI on another day just to avoid the LONG ride and going directly to the Open.

You have to consider if you are on the beach, you may want to shower/change. If you are just hanging out on CI, you may still want to change(I didn't go to a concert in Prospect Park on Saturday as I would have wanted to go home and change first...and i was just hanging out on the boardwalk.)

It's a LONG ride...doable..but long.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

If you are traveling on a sunny and warm day, why not combine the subway with a water taxi? From Coney Island, take the F train to York Street and then a short stroll to the NY Waterway's East River ferry terminal at Brooklyn Bridge ParkDUMBO. From there take the ferry to Hunter’s Point in Queens. From the Hunter’s Point terminal, walk about 5-10 minutes to the subway station at Vernon Boulevard/Jackson Avenue where you can get the #7 subway to the US Open.

Have a nice day.

CH

Edited: 13 August 2014, 19:39
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

Thank you for all the help!

Much appreciated.

10. Re: Coney Island to Flushing Meadows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:18