We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

Hi

I am heading over the NYC next week and currently doing a little research on shopping. The new Sansung Tab S is loads cheaper over there, so does anyone know if I would be able to use this ok when I am back in the UK? I am staying in the city for 5 days and intending on vising Jersery Gardens when I'm there, where would I get the bext deal???

Thank You!!!!!! :)

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

can't speak specifically about the Samsung, but electronics bought over here work just fine when I go home to the UK on visits.

For me that means my Google Nexus tablet, laptop and Lumia phone.

As for where to buy - I'll let the experts answer! Best Buy might be worth a look - check their website for prices. Sadly one of New York's best electronics stores shut recently (J and R).

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

Doesn't the US use different voltage to that of the UK and therefore goods made over in US are specifically made for this voltage, meaning the power for charging over in the UK would be too much for the device?!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

No...small consumer electronics are actually powered by 5V DC current from the battery.

The AC adapter that you plug into the wall converts from 120V AC to 5V DC for the battery to charge. Plus most electronics' AC adapters are dual voltage nowadays.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

Thanks for your replies. So Fuzzypuppy if I just buy a UK plug from over here on my return, then it should work ok?? :)

Canada
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

When you say "loads cheaper" are you factoring in the tax and duty you may have to pay upon returning home?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

Hi @quof. I am told that we have an allowance of £390 so that should be plenty enough to buy the tablet, although reading on the forums and the posts on Jersey gardens people spend WAY more than that, I'm unsure if they pay taxes or not?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

Yes. The only thing you will need to charge your tablet when you get home is an adapter that changes from US prongs to UK prongs, not a voltage adapter. I am looking at my own Samsung AC adapter right now and it says 100-240V 50-60Hz. It might be less bulky if you buy a UK AC adapter when you get home, it is definitely not needed.

Plus, my mom lives in Germany and I buy her a new tablet pretty much every year when comes for a visit. She has never had an issue with charging any of them.

8. Re: Buying Samsung Tab S from NYC to use in the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17