We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening Itinerary

Nebraska
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Evening Itinerary

My husband is visiting NYC for the first time in September. I will be tied up at a conference, so I thought I would help him plan out his itinerary. He will have a free evening, so I thought he could do the following from approximately 5:30 - 8:30. We are staying in Chelsea. We still need to plan the next day, which will include a lot of the financial district.

Is this too much? Not enough? OK order? Other suggestions? I am thinking he will walk, but again any suggestions welcomed.

- Empire State Building observation deck (we will buy tickets in advance)

- Rockafeller Center

- Grand Central

- Broadway

- Time Square

Any suggestions for dinner and/or a drink? He prefers laid back bars.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
69,039 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,187 Reviews
New York City, NY
Time Square Apartments
Time Square Apartments
27 Reviews
New York City, NY
Trump Tower
Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
One World Observatory
Architectural Buildings, Observation Decks & Towers
Riverside Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Observation Decks & Towers
Top of the Rock Observation Deck
Observation Decks & Towers, Lookouts
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening Itinerary

Three hours is not much time to do all that. Queueing for the ESB can take a lot of time. You could buy an express pass which bypasses the queues but these are more expensive.

The Rockefeller Center, do you want to go up to the observation deck, Top of the Rock? It's a bit of a waste of time to do both the ESB and TOTR in a short amount of time. I'd go to TOTR instead of ESB. Great views from up there on a clear day including Central Park which you don't see from the ESB.

Definitely go to Times Square at night. Don't eat in Times Square, consider these instead, they are only a short walk away: eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

If by "Broadway" you mean all the theaters and their big signs and crowds, you'll see a lot of that in Times Square and surrounding streets.

Grand Central is good to see, it's a beautiful place. Also nearby is the NY Public Library. Another beautiful building which you could also pop into.

Mentioned in this post
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,190 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,119 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
43,378 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,187 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York Public Library
New York Public Library
11,668 Reviews
New York City, NY
Nebraska
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening Itinerary

Great points. I am going to suggest he skips ESB, and go to TOTR instead. Are the lines as bad there?

How about any bars?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening Itinerary

There are hardly any lines at TOTR in comparison to the ESB. One great thing about the TOTR is that you get a fantastic view of the ESB, it's right in front of you.

As for bars, I've been to the rooftop bar at 230 Fifth (that's the name of the place and also the address). It's also got a great view of the ESB and Lower Manhattan.

Other areas with great bars are Greenwich Village, East Village and the Lower East Side. But just about every neighbourhood would have bars.

Mentioned in this post
Lower Manhattan
Lower Manhattan
973 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,477 Reviews
New York City, NY
East Village
East Village
99 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lower East Side
Lower East Side
137 Reviews
New York City, NY
4. Re: Evening Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:16