We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE with toddler

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
NYE with toddler

Coming over for our third holiday this year but will be in New York from Dec 26th to Jan 2nd.

Just wanted to know if there's anything to do that late with a toddler he's 30 months old. We were debating letting him stay up as it seems daft not to while we're there. We know to stay away from times square. Wondered if there was anywhere not too close but with some fireworks in view. Is it possible to get hot chocolates or anything or should we prep a thermos before hand? Our hotel is on 7th ave and I think 57th street. Also any recommendations of anywhere nice to eat at tea time on NYE? Around 5 or 6th. We have friends who live in New York but they've never spent the new year at home so they're not sure!

Many thanks

J

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE with toddler

With a 30 month old toddler I'd just stay in the hotel and watch the festivities on the TV. And let him go to sleep when his tired. There's no way I'd want to take a child out in that cold and hang around for hours waiting for New Year.

Sorry. Others might have ideas though.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE with toddler

Central Park countdown/fireworks.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 13:56
Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
113,090 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE with toddler

you know your child better than we do, but at that age mine really couldn't be kept up way past their bedtimes, and would become intensely cranky before just crashing. ideally you could go out and see the central park fireworks -- you're staying pretty close to them, and don't need to get in place ahead of time.

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE with toddler

If you are gung ho on coming out, I agree with Central park fireworks. They are near the Bandshell and Bethesda Fountain. If you don't want to stand directly underneath, I'm pretty sure you can view it from a distance since the fireworks clear the treeline. Lots of people come out for this, but it is nowhere as crowded as Times Square.

It's wide open space so you can show up at 11:55 and not worry about finding a spot. This also means it's pretty easy to leave if you need to make a quick escape. I wouldn't rely on taxis on NYE, so you'll have to catch the train. Either on the west side at 72nd Street/Central Park West (B or C) or east side at 68th Street/Lexington (6). If you grab the 6, you can connect to the NQR which drops off at your hotel, but it is a further walk to the 68th/Lexington station.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection
The Lexington Hotel...
3,982 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park West Hostel
Central Park West Hostel
57 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,090 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bethesda Fountain
Bethesda Fountain
627 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
43,349 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE with toddler

Oh Goodness! Do the 3 C's instead: Chinese take out, Champagne toast, Cable tv

6. Re: NYE with toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17