We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Central Coast
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Going to NYC in Oct with 4 girlfriends and I am a massive foodie, my job is the find the restaurants to eat at and they are going to do the sightseeing things. I want us to have 1 nice night out at a good restaurant however I don't think that a posh style restaurant is going to be there thing, a few are a little picky and probably won't like things they have never tried or are too out there. Can anyone recommend somewhere really nice to eat so we can dress up a bit but has a good vibe as well?

Any other foodie recommendations would be appreciated as well!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Buddakan- Chinese

Peter Lugers - Steak

Gotham Bar and Grill - all different things

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

I think it would help if you gave a budget per person in USD including tax and drinks. And a reminder to add a tip. So an amount is important.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

There are so many restaurants in NYC it's impossible to have one favourite ;-)

For foodie recommendations have a look at this food blog by a local: eatingwithziggy.com/category/…

Choose a neighbourhood and start making a list.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Obviously there are many amazing restaurants in NYC, too many to list here. One thing to keep in mind though is that with the exception of a few Michelin starred French restaurants, most NYC restaurants are very casual and it won't be unusual to see people in jeans, even at a place that costs over $150 per person for food.

If you are looking for an experience you can't get elsewhere, go for Le Bernardin, Per Se, Brooklyn Fare, Take Root, Peter Luger (warning: Cash Only!) or WD-50. Be aware that the first 2 are a much more formal.

Some other favorites in a slightly lower price range are:

Casa Mono, Mas Farmhouse, NoMad, Spotted Pig, Decoy, Cookshop (for brunch, dinner is just okay for the money), ABC Kitchen, Gramercy Tavern, Gotham Bar and Grill, Cannibal, and Dirty Candy.

A couple of other good places to hit if you're a foodie are Eataly, Gotham West Market, Chelsea Market, and Smorgasburg (Williamsburg on Saturdays, Brooklyn Heights on Sundays).

Edited: 14 August 2014, 15:00
Central Coast
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Oh I'm not sure maybe $100 a head

Central Coast
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

At home if going out with hubby we would do $400 for a couple but that's exquisite food and we are foodies so we appreciate finer foods, I love a good degustation with matching wines but for my crew they would probably turn their nose up at most of the choices so would rather they choose their own meals

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Gotham Bar and Grill :D

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Gotham and Gramercy tavern will both probably work fro your group - not too fussy. Union Square cafe could also work.

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Sounds fabulous. You already got great suggestions, but I thought I would give some input..... specifically about places that aren't "too out there" and has a right feel for a girls' trip.

I think the 3 michelin stars are not going work for your dinner plans and budget. Particularly, Chef's Table at Brooklyn fare, Eleven Madison Park, and Per Se as they do serve raw fish, sea urchin, raw oysters. Both Bernadin and Daniel are more old school and probably don't have the vibe you are looking for. One strong consideration is that you try the lunch prix fixe at Jean Georges (NOT the Nougatine). It is a prix fixe with 8+ choices for each course, so it shouldn't be an issue. I have brought visiting girlfriends here for lunch and they always love it, from the food down to the bright airy ambience. Plus here you can get some wine pairings for a short meal so you won't break the bank.

ABC Kitchen and The NoMad would probably fit the bill for dinner.

- ABC Kitchen is all rustic and elegant, and people (girls) squeal in absolute delight when they walk in the room. It's the kind of place where you can dress up or dress down and still fit right in. The food is farm-to-table and delicious. Bonus is it won't break the bank so you can splurge at another meal.

- The NoMad is another jaw dropper. It is a 1 michelin star, with this sort of mysterious sultry feel. The ingredients aren't too out there (menu features sweetbreads and fois gras). If you don't eat here, bring them for a drink. The library and bar at the back are a must see. =) This is the place for the fancy heels.

Both Cannibal and Eataly would be great for charcuterie and drinks. Fun places, nice to have finger foods and chat.

Ah so many options......

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 restaurant in NYC I MUST go to!

Room Service (thai food) is my favorite restaurant in NY. The food is awesome, the place is chic without being too formal.

Is on 9th Av between 46 and 47th st I think