We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

Watford, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

I am looking to stay at Conrad just after Christmas and was wondering if anyone could help me decide whether it is worth paying extra for a Superior Suite with a city or river view, as opposed to a Deluxe Suite? From what I can tell, there is not much difference.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,083 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

For that time period (which will have low business travel demand), I'd probably book a regular room and ask about upgrading to a higher floor if I really didn't care for it.

We almost stayed at the Conrad for our last trip, but ended up choosing another hotel. I liked that the Conrad had a sitting area, but I realized that the windows are only in the bedroom area. That made me really question whether it was worth paying extra for the view.

I assume you're seeing a very seductive rate? The location wouldn't be my first choice for winter. It's a bit removed and it could be a cold and windy walk to the subway.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

It's newish and shiny, but the walk to the subway is a good point. Despite the number of questions asked about the 9/11 memorial here, that is not the only place in Manhattan you might wish to visit. Even the Statue of Liberty pier is a very long walk from the Conrad, especially in winter. Trinity Wall Street hasn't announced their December music schedule yet, by the way.

Watford, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

We were a bit worried about the location but I did read that the subway is within walking distance. It is still expensive but the cheapest of a selection of hotels we looked at. Are there any other hotels you would suggest that may have a better location and be better value for money?

Thanks again for your help

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

Closer to a subway (in fact, the 1, 2 and 3 right outside the door and a few others really close too) than the Conrad but still in lower Manhattan:

The Smyth in Tribeca. Haven't stayed there (I stayed across the street in the Cosmopolitan which I liked but it is certainly more a budget hotel in comparison) but I love the area. Lots of restaurants nearby too.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,083 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

For other suggestions, what are your exact dates and your target budget per night? Is it just two of you sharing a bed?

Is there a particular reason you're targeting that area? Or are you flexible about where in Manhattan you want to stay?

Watford, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

We are definitely flexible with where we would like to stay. We were more attracted to the hotel than the location but are keen to be in Manhattan. We are arriving on December 26th and check out on January 1st. Our budget is approximately £220 a night, inc. tax, if possible but are happy to look at more affordable places (if they're are any during this time), without it being a budget hotel. The room is for 2 people to share a bed.

Thanks again for the help and I will check out the hotel suggested above.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 23:24
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,083 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

New Year's. Ouch. As you've noticed, that's a pricey time. Hotels down by the Financial District are among the more affordable options during New Year's, which is why you're seeing relatively good pricing for the Conrad.

Though the Conrad's 5 star rating is seductive, it is a bit removed and bitterly cold wind is a real possibility in Battery Park City (which is where the hotel is located). Here is a blog on the topic: moonfun.net/winter-in-battery-park-city-new-…

Your budget comes to ~$320 + tax. Looking on Kayak.com, the Hyatt Union Square has relatively good pricing for those dates. $311 + tax. Great location! It really stands out as an excellent deal compared to pricing for other hotels, but you would have to pre-pay and it's non-refundable.

Kayak is linking to that rate on all the major booking sites (Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com), so you can choose your favorite. I haven't checked the hotel's own website to see if they are offering the same deal but they probably are.

Great last minute deals for New Years are not common, and rates tend to go up rather than down as the date approaches. Personally, I would be okay with locking in to something non-refundable vs staying flexible, but I know that's a tough decision. That's a good rate though.

8. Re: Conrad Hotel, North End Avenue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17