We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

wisconsin
Level Contributor
89 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

Hi

My wife and I are traveling to NYC in December. We will be staying at the Midtown Hilton. We've never been to New York before, we are midwesterners. We will be arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning the weekend before Christmas.

Can anyone please help with a suggested itinerary? Would like to see a show or two, and we love great restaurants. We'd really be up for anything, so your advice would be appreciated.

I know that there are a million things we can do, so suggestions of things to try would help narrow things down for us.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,441 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

You must read this thread from last year, for a start. It lists everything you'll want to know about Christmas:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

Our favorite December in NYC “Christmas-window” stroll (around 3 hours walking) goes from Central Park along Fifth Avenue to around 48th Street viewing the lake and bridge in the Park (59th Street near 5th Avenue), the store windows at Bergdorf’s (between 58th & 59th Streets) and SAKS (49th Street), a stop in at St Thomas’ (53rd Street) and St Patrick’s (51st Street) to hear the bells and view the altars, watch the skaters at Rockefeller Center (between 49th & 50th Streets) and marvel at the Tree and then walk to Bryant Park behind the Library at 42st Street to shop at the Holiday Market.

It may be a little chilly (dress warmly in layers), but it can be a delightful afternoon!

CH

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

**Can anyone please help with a suggested itinerary?**

Take a look at the FAQ's on the right..what to see and do.

Make a list:

-Must see/do.

-Would like to see/do.

-Doesn't matter if we see/do.

Re-post some things that are of interest in this thread and you will get some guidance.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

Your best bet is to get a guide book to see what attractions are available. When you have narrowed down your list, post back here & we can then help you better.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

If you want to see a couple of shows, that's a good starting point. Decide what you want to see and whether you want to splurge on the more expensive and higher demand shows, or to seek discounts for lower demand shows. For high demand shows, book tickets now.

I'd recommend doing nighttime shows rather than daytime matinees. People always run out of daylight time, but usually have plenty of time in the evenings.

If you're into restaurants, you'll have a great time deciding! There are huge numbers of wonderful choices. You'll need to make some decisions about cuisine, price point, which restaurants intrigue you the most, how you want to balance your overall meal experience.

In addition to regular ideas in the Top Questions section, you'll also see some sample trip reports there (as well as in current forum discussions)

I agree that getting a good travel guidebook would be fun. It can add to the anticipation as well as help with planning.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

BTW, rather than buying a guidebook, check your local library to see if they have any for loan.

7. Re: Help with weekend itinerary in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:17