We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay ?

I know it's probably the millionth time this question has been asked.

but I'm coming to new York next june, and I just have not got a clue where to stay.

I have been swayed towards the Affinia shelbourne........

But I wondered if anyone could recommend a hotel in a location, that we need to be, and maybe one that has breakfast included.

I'm not fussy, so it's not got to be the ritz, just clean and comfortable.

Location isn't too much a problem, as we do like to walk, and know that we will have to walk or use transport to get to most locations.

Just not too sure where to stay, need a few bars and restaurants near by, to get us through 5 nights.

thanks.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay ?

How many people and what bed configuration?

Exact travel dates? prices vary.

Nightly budget is US $?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay ?

We always tell our out of town friends and family that we recommend the Hotel Giraffe at 365 Park Avenue South at 26th Street. It is a boutique gem in a GREAT location that is within walking distance to Union Square, the Village, Gramercy Park, and Soho (all to the south), midtown and Times Square (both to the north) and Chelsea (to the west) and the Meat Packing District and a grand entrance to the Highline (to the southwest).

That said, the Giraffe is at the upper end of most budgets though there are frequent specials. For more information, see:

http://www.hotelgiraffe.com

CH

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay ?

Affinia shelburne is quite nice and Scottys Diner right down the the street has big, cheap breakfasts. There are plenty of bars, pubs, and restaurants a few blocks away on 3rd Avenue.

Just remember the subway will get you cheaply, quickly and safely all over NYC .

Edited: 16 August 2014, 04:49
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay ?

Thank you for the replies

8th june for 5 nights for 2 adults. So 1bed please not 2 singles.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay ?

Budget?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay ?

Without a budget, it's difficult to give advice, and being ten months out, it's difficult too, as some hotels won't even be able to be booked yet, and others are only posting higher than usual rack rates. It's early days - I wouldn't be settling on one particular hotel just yet.

I would start by looking at Kayak and just getting a feel for what you can get at different price values. (My criteria when searching to narrow it down are - 3 star plus, excellent reviews only, and then narrow by budget). I would also do some reading on the different neighborhoods and looking on Google Maps to get a feel of what they are about, as what you describe (being close to bars and restaurants) covers quite a lot of different areas. You can take a look on Oyster to get an idea of particular hotels - it's hard to recommend when we don't know your tastes - do you want boutique, mainstream, trendy, cozy, etc.

Some general tips: look for a hotel in Manhattan to have best availability to transport, bars and restaurants, and most of the sites you will want to see as a first time visitor. Stay away from the Times Square area, unless you plan to see a lot of theatre. Stay close to a subway line and you can get anywhere easily, anytime. Areas outside of midtown will be more charming and more of the atmosphere you are looking for.

If you do have the urge to book something so early, make sure to get something cancellable so that you can watch for better options as the time gets closer.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay ?

thanks for the replies.

to be honest, I don't know much about the price of hotels in new York.

I don't want to be paying £300 a night, was more hoping to get somewhere for around £130 a night or cheaper, if possible.

I only know about the affinia group, because I was looking at going new York 2 years ago and never got there.

I know I don't want to stay near to times square, it's not really for us, we will go to it and have a look and do plan on having a night out at a show, but would rather be away from that.

I would like to be near a subway.

Just somewhere that is clean and tidy, and is in a location that has somewhere like you said charming and with a bit of atmosphere.

Walking does not bother us, as we prefer to do this than use public transport (although I know we will have to do with ny being so big) as we feel we see more places.

When is the best time to book for June.

I've used priceline before on bidding for 4* hotels, has anyone any experience of doing this in new York.

I think over the next few weeks i'll read up about hotels in the different areas, price them up, and then come back and ask when I've got a bit of a list.

Thank you for your help, and i'll be back.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay ?

Converting to dollars, You are not going to have to pay $500/night, but $217 in Manhattan in June may be tough if that is meant to include tax (meaning a base price of ~$190). $250 + tax is probably a more realistic figure to have in your head. You may get lucky and find a deal that is just a bit lower, but still a reasonably nice hotel in a charming neighborhood.

It's so early, I don't see anything jumping out at me that is a good deal in a charming area. It's way too early to book something non-refundable unless it's a fantastic deal.

Are you actually seeing the Affinia Shelburne available for your target budget? I'm seeing rates of $363 + tax! Unless you pre-pay a non-refundable rate, but then it's still $290.

If you are uncomfortable completely waiting, the best approach would be to book something that can be canceled without a fee, then look more carefully about 4-6 months out for other options. At that point, you might still want a flexible rate, but may have more choices as more hotels publish realistic pricing.

What is the max rate in USD (before tax) that you would want to pay for something you book now, knowing you can cancel? If you really want to stay in the low $200's, booking in Long Island City (a convenient neighborhood in Queens) may make sense for you.

It's way to early to be thinking about Priceline or Hotwire. You can think about that closer to the date.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay ?

Okay - I take that back. HotelClub.com has the Excelsior Hotel for $260 + tax with free cancellation. I'm linking to that rate through Kayak.com (not sure if that will be necessary to see it). That's for a standard Queen room.

The Excelsior is right next to the AMNH, a block from Central Park and in the Upper West Side, which is DEFINITELY a charming neighborhood :-)

I've stayed at the Excelsior but in one of their larger rooms. I think they don't get rave reviews for these smaller rooms, but I still wouldn't hesitate to book this as your backup plan.

I have no personal experience with HotelClub.com Read the fine print about fees. I haven't heard anything bad about them -- just no personal experience.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay ?

We have traveled to NYC in June and I found summer deals around Christmas. I have used Expedia and Priceline in the past but over the past few years I've found I've gotten better deals going directly through hotel websites.