We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

I am visiting NYC in October with my boyfriend, and by sheer luck, his favourite team are playing against the NY Jets on his birthday the same weekend we are there! Naturally I have bought him tickets, but I am wondering about how to make the day more enjoyable for him.

I myself am a sports fan, but not very clued up on NFL yet (though I am learning!) and wanted to know the best approach on meeting other NFL fans at a tailgating party.

Is it easily signposted where to go for tailgate parties? Are there specific areas we need to avoid? (whilst my boyfriend is very well behaved, he probably will be wearing an away shirt)

Does anyone have any tips to approach people and join in with the festivities? I am not in the habit of just walking up and asking for burger/beer, so what is the best approach?

I did think to maybe bring some Cadbury Chocolate with me or similar 'British snacks' to share around, but would people like/appreciate that or will we be seen as 'Silly English Tourists' and be told to go on our way?

Any advice you can provide will be much appreciated.

East Coast
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

Kingi8713 ~

I'm not the world's greatest authority on tailgating--it's been many, many years since I've done this--but the following video clips of tailgate parties outside MetLife Stadium in this link might be useful (and the videos are certainly entertaining):

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ny+jets+tailgate

As you'll see, the food & drink is plentiful, the fans are loud & BIG, and it is all great fun. If you are wearing a jersey of the visiting team, you can probably expect to be "razzed" a bit--but, for the most part, it is all good-natured and "family-friendly." You certainly won't be the only fans of the opposing team. Odds are, the Jets will lose the game.

British accents work wonders in the States, and most of the people you encounter will be charmed by your voice as soon as you open your mouth--your accent alone will be a real conversation-starter. Mind you, many New Jerseyans will have trouble penetrating the Brummie accent, and you yourselves might struggle to understand everything some Jersey guy is saying. :-) ("Hey, whereyasguys from? ... Hey, Vinnie, dese guys is alldaway from England, no kiddin'")

Just offer them some Cadbury chocolates, and all will be well!

"Official" tailgating information here:

metlifestadium.com/getting-here/tailgating-p…

Are you driving, or taking public transit (i.e., transport)--bus from the NYC Port Authority Terminal or train from New York Penn Station? I'd recommend the train:

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy your visit, and enjoy the game!

East Coast
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

Also, check out the Tailgate Joe website... especially these pages:

http://www.tailgatejoe.com/

http://www.tailgatejoe.com/how-it-works/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

That tailgate Joe thing is amazing! At Gillette Stadium where the Patriots play and some fans arrive by train .... if you don't bring your own tailgate (car) you do not party, or you pay a hefty price to join a professionally managed party.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

If you are arriving by train, they have "railgating" where you buy the food. Most failgaters drive their own cars and cook the food from their trunks.

Save Reply
5. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

I'm from to UK too and have been to 2 Jets game at the Metlife Stadium (going again in September!) and there is tailgating everywhere, the car parks are just full of people setting up BBQs and tables of food! We weren't brave enough to see if we could join in but just walking around through all the tailgating was fun!

You definitely don't need to worry about wearing the team of the away team, the tailgating fans of both teams were all mixed together! It's very different to the football in England where the fans sit separately and enter the stadium at different times etc.

If you're travelling to the game from Manhattan I'd definitely recommend getting this bus:

coachusa.com/info/coachusa/ss.351express.asp

we've used it both times we've been and it drops you off right out side the stadium and picks you up from a specific parking lot after game and is only $10! When we've been there have been home and away fans on that bus too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

What iis the date you are going? We are going to a game on the 5th October and ii was wondering what all this tailgating business was about and I came upon your post. We are from Australia and my husband is a huge fan (of the dallas cowboys) but is just happy to get to any game as we couldn't fit Dallas into our trip.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

We are going on the 12th. Been so lucky with the dates as boyfriend is a massive Broncos fan and the fixture came out the same weekend as we are there as well as being his birthday! Hope you enjoy your trip! My first live NFL game! Quite excited. Some of the above links are quite useful. Are you going to watch the Jets or the Giants?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

We are seeing the giants v's Arizona. I'm not exactly a NFL (or any sort of footy) fan but I'll just have to get into it! As long as I can have a few drinks I'll be happy!

Enjoy your trip!

9. Re: UK Traveller attending NFL Game. Tailgating tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 07:15