We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

Save Topic
5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

We are going to New York from 1st-4th Oct 14 staying in the Wyndham New Yorker on 34th St. I have planned each of the days, and would appreciate some advice if it is feasible/realistic. Itinerary is as follows:

Day 1

Arrive at hotel late afternoon

Empire State Building

Get dinner

Day 2

After breakfast walk to Times Square and purchase '48 hr Hop on Hop off' ticket

Downtown loop towards lower Manhattan

Get off at SoHo, Chinatown, Little Italy and have a walk around/shop/get coffee

At approx 1pm, start Brooklyn loop of Hop on hop off tour

Walk to Empire Fulton Ferry Park / Jane's Carousel

Get Pizza @ one of the Pizzerias located by Brooklyn Bridge (not sure which one)

Walk back over Brooklyn Bridge

Depending on time, possibly do the night tour loop of Downtown and Brooklyn

Day 3

9/11 memorial and museum. Do you have to book the museum or can you just turn up?

If we have to book, I think a time of approx 10.30am is best.

Walk towards Staten Island Ferry via the Charging Bull. After reaching Staten Island, we plan on going straight back.

Walk down Wall Street, continue on Downtown loop to Central Park (hope this to be before 3pm)

Walk around Central Park / possibly doing some of the Uptown loop

Night tour loop of Downtown and Brooklyn if not done previous night

I am a bit concerned with the timing of this day, as I don't want to be wandering round Central Park if it's getting dark.

Day 4

After breakfast Grand Central Station

Go to 5th Avenue and do some shopping, walking back down Madison Avenue

Possibly get lunch somewhere around Central Park

Later on I would like to go to a rooftop bar and have some cocktails (recommendations would be great as we would be celebrating a 30th birthday)

Dinner @ a Uncle Jack's steakhouse (booked for 8.30pm)

Day 5

Rockerfeller Center

Leave for JFK at approx 1.30pm

Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
Sidewalks of New York Tours
Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Walking Tours
Big Apple Jazz Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours
Take Me Out NYC
Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Night Tours
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

Not sure if your concern about central park in the dark is safety, but if so it's misplaced. Park is quite safe even in the evening.

Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

The question re safety had crossed my mind (being a tourist in an unknown city at night), although I was thinking more of how much I'd be able to see in the dark.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

Hi !

Pretty good itinerary for your first visit to NYC !!

First, to answer your question, yes you need to buy a ticket in advance to access the Memorial Museum at the National Sept. 11th Memorial Museum. Get them here: www.911memorial.org/visit-911-memorial-museum

Also, I've been to one (out of many) rooftop bars in NYC. 230 Fifth is the name as well as the address. It is perfectly located with a magnificent view on the Empire State Building. It can get cold on October nights but don't worry, they'll provide you a housecoat if you get cold. www.230-fifth.com

You can find another one in Times Square. Though it's not rooftop, you'd get a very nice view of the city. Visit their website here: http://www.theviewnyc.com

One last thing, I would add the visit of Top of the Rock. The best view possible on NY, on top of the Rockefeller Center! www.topoftherocknyc.com/

Hope this will help !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,198 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

Itinerary looks good to me. If you're going to Grimaldi's, be prepared for a long wait, especially on weekends. There's a very good local pizza place (Front Street Pizza) a short walk away. If you find an hours-long wait at the famous places as we did, it's a short walk to this alternative, which was no wait and very good pizza. Full of locals.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,255 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

You don't need to pre-purchase tickets for the 9/11 Museum because they have a few available on the day.

BUT as you want to get there around 10.30am I'd say they'd probably be sold out. So buy them in advance just to be sure. Or get there before opening time on the day.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

The 911 memorial museum time slots have been fairly open until the last minute. I would wait to book. Take a look at the immediate weather forecast and decide if there is any reason to rearrange your plans.

People do enjoy the HOHO tours, but it is not an efficient mode of transportation. If timing is of concern, taking the subway is quicker and more reliable.

For Day 2, you might want to consider reversing this day. You mention shopping, but Soho stores tend to open late. Some open at 10am but some don't open until 11am or later. Would you consider doing Brooklyn in the morning, pizza for an early lunch (beat the crowds), then Soho, Chinatown, etc in the afternoon? Plus you won't be stuck carrying shopping bags across the Brooklyn Bridge :-)

For Day 3, people have been reporting spending ~3 hours at the 911 memorial museum. Doing that, plus the ferry and exploring Wall Street, then getting up to Central Park by 3pm may be a push. Consider doing the museum earlier.

In general, you seem to be spending a lot of time on the bus, and not enough time exploring interesting areas on foot and really "being there" vs seeing whatever you can see from the bus.

It seems like Central Park would be a better fit with Day 4 than 3.

new york
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

If you are getting on and off the HOHO bus you will likely find it takes you longer to get from one place to another than you thought it would. I think your day 3 could be a challenge time-wise.

8. Re: 5 day itinerary - 1st time in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 06:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor