We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

London, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

I'll be staying at The Comfort Inn Manhattan but would like to visit the cemetery as I have a family member buried there. Is it correct that the train is the quickest and most simple way to get there? How much would train tickets be?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

You can take the Harlem line of MetroNorth to the Woodlawn station, which is just across from the gate of the cemetery.

Schedule and fare information can be found here:

http://www.mta.info/mnr

London, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

Thank you.

It's cheaper than I thought, would I start the journey at Grand Central?

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

Woodlawn is also accessible by subway by taking the #4 Lexington Ave. line to its very end in the Bronx. The cemetery is just across the street.

www.thewoodlawncemetery.org/plan-a-visit/

I used to work in that area and was once denied entry as I was not going to a specific grave. The current website hints at tours for the general public. You may want to contact them in advance to avoid problems.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 22:52
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

The only time I've had trouble going in was during winter icy conditions. They really didn't want anyone who wasn't visiting a relative wandering around.

London, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

Thanks for the tips. I guess it may be worth contacting them as I don't know the exact location of the grave and I may look like I'm just wandering around.

6. Re: Woodlawn Cemetary by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16