We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Hi, we are staying 8 days in Manhattan close to Grand Central in September then intend to hire a car on a Monday morning, and head to New Hampshire the scenic route 287 to 87 north, up the Hudson Valley. After a few weeks touring and returning from Lancaster county, to fly out of JFK at 10:00am.

Can anyone please assist with the following:

1. What location should I hire the car on the Monday? I read from Manhattan is not a good option due to traffic etc. Is the best option is getting the subway to a location towards the route I'm taking, 287 to Hudson Valley and beyond to NH

2. A good hire company hire company ? I was thinking Hertz? (small car only required)

3. Returning the vehicle: am I best to return it to the airport the day before and stay close by as my flight is 10:00am on a Thursday from JFK

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Hertz is the highest quality but also the most expensive rental car company. If you can afford Hertz, you'll be generally pleased. My father, who is very picky about these things, uses nothing else.

Take the train to Tarrytown and rent the car there. That gets you out of NYC traffic and into the Hudson Valley.

https:/…HPNE32

87 is not the scenic route - it is the major truck highway to Canada. If you want the scenic route, take Route 9 (which is a regular street with lights) or the Taconic Parkway (limited access highway, faster, low bridges, no trucks, twisty, pretty.)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Hertz is a good company which I rented regularly when I travel in the USA. The weekly or monthly rate are quite attractive and they do have discount coupon from time to time available on their website. Also if you are a AAA-affiliated motoring club member you can enjoy typically 10% dicount (check with your local AA and Hertz).

When renting a car in USA, it is important to make sure you have adequate insurance covering 3rd party liabilities. Travel insurance here would not cover rental car related incident and hence I always purchase the SLI (Supplementary Liability Insurance) in addition to the LDW (Lost Damage Waiver) from Hertz. It adds to the total cost of rental but at least I can have a peace of mind driving in a foreign country.

If you rent outside the New York City area, do check if there is any drop off charge if you return the car to JFK. Renting in any of the 48 locations in New York City and the 3 locations in Brooklyn generally do not attracts any drop off charge when returning to JFK. I usually rent a car from Brooklyn if I am already in the area, although I have also rented from JFK on arrival which costs a little more due to the airport concession fee recovery but the car rental rates are the same.

https://www.hertz.com.sg/rentacar/location…

btw, you mentioned several weeks, do note that if you use the Hertz PlatePass to pay for tolls, you have to pay up to US$24.75 per rental even if you only use it for one day. You may want to check the route that you will be taking and see how often would you be using a toll road, and decide whether you want to use the PlatePass or to pay cash.

https:/…

Edited: 17 August 2014, 16:06
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

This is great help, thanks.

Yes I need to clarify the route, my destination in NH will take me ultimately to the Lincoln / Jackson area in the White Mtns.

My research via google maps showed an option via Keene and Concord NH.

I really need advice please

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Alamo car hire is significantly cheaper than Hertz

Is this a good option? I can hire one near where I am staying on 40th St Manhattan and head towards Tarrytown on the way to Hudson Valley and beyond, is this a smart move?

Alamo does not show airport drop off for JFK, but return it to the same location.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

If you're renting the car in Manhattan, why would you go to Tarrytown? Now I'm confused.

The scenic route north from Manhattan would just be to stick to the parkways: pick up the Bronx River Parkway at its very start off the Bruckner in the south Bronx, and follow it as it becomes the Sprain Brook and then the Taconic. That dumps you out onto I-90.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Thanks so much for this, I see on google maps what you mean.

In an earlier post Tarrytown was mentioned as an option getting a train out of Manhattan to a Hertz agency.

However, if I select alamo, and it is very near where I am staying on 40th St, I'd take your advice and head out on that route you describe,

Is there any point on going on 9 up the Hudson Valley before joinging onto the Taconic that leads to the I- 90?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

<<Alamo car hire is significantly cheaper than Hertz>>

Be sure to check whether the rates quoted include LDW and SLI, Hertz usually includes these in the rates for booking made on their sites outside the USA, whereas most car rental company like Alamo may just quote tbe car alone and the rest are extras.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Thanks Billy

I checked the Alamo website, and it appears to match the same cover that of hertz. The onlything not covered seem to be Personal accident insurance.

It was interesting, Alamo did not have an option returning the vehicle to the airport, maybe just as well as I read there are charges and its not an easy place to find the exact location for returns

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

Renting a car in Manhattan is cost-prohibitive ($100+/day). It will be much cheaper in Tarrytown ($40/day). Even if they charge you an extra $50 to return to JFK, it will be worth it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to hire a car and drive to NH via R 287 Hudson Valley?

I like National Car, they are really good and favored by business travelers along with Hertz. I sent you a message with a promo code in it.

Also, no reason not to leave from Manhattan as long as you don't plan on leaving in the evening rush hour.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 18:42