We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

I have the opportunity to buy Aladdin tickets in row hh of the mezzanine, center section. Are these good seats?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

anyone? :)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

Here is a seating chart:

http://tinyurl.com/mb9mu57

We would say that the seats are OK as long as you have reasonably good sight & hearing and there is not a rather tall person sitting right in front of you.

Enjoy.

CH

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

Just make certain you are dealing with someone reputable. It is not all that uncommon for folks to arrive with tickets in hand & find out they're fakes & they leave without money or tickets.

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

So did you see the show from the mezzanine seats? How was it? I am considering the same option.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

Generally for musicals you want to sit in mezz so that you get a good look at the choreography.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

I have never sat in the New Amsterdam but have been to many shows. Those seats are fine. Would AA be better, yes, but HH will be fine. In every theater I've ever been in, the mezzanines are steeply raked so even if you have a tall person in front of you it probably won't matter. OTOH, leg room tends to be worse in the mezz so if you're over 6 feet be warned (I'm 6' 1" and do sit in the mezz all the time, but it's tight

I agree with cyblume's comments about buying from a proper source. Ticketmaster is the official seller and you probably should not be buying from anyone else

Edited: 21 January 2015, 19:33
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

One other thing, I'm not sure why CasaHoffa brought up "reasonably good .... hearing" since all shows are amplified. It is true that in some seats it can be hard to hear - but I find that's as true in the orchestra as in the mezz. Due to the way the speakers are set up and the acoustics of the hall it's anyone's guess whether a particular seat will have better or worse hearing

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

As far as acoustics are concerned, I find that the middle of the house & the back of the house under the overhang is the worse. The best acoustics are top of the balcony dead center which is why my symphony season tickets are there.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

Symphony halls are another matter entirely. There's no amplification there so you're relying on the sounds bouncing off the walls and ceiling to reach your ears. Back when I lived in Philadelphia, the very best sound at the Academy of Music was to be had in the very back of the balcony, on the $2 bench seats.

But every Broadway house and virtually all off Broadway performances are amplified

FYI, if you're interested in what things sounded like before microphones, see the "Broadway Unplugged" concerts at The Town Hall (which has a reputation for excellent acoustics, by the way) www.siegelpresents.com/broadway_unplugged

Edited: 21 January 2015, 20:24
Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Amsterdam Theatre Mezzanine - Aladdin

smoberly:

I saw "Mary Poppins" twice and one of those times, I sat in the mezzanine with two children, ages six and nine. None of us had problems seeing the stage.