We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

United States
Level Contributor
492 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

I've been to NYC in July and it was so so very hot. I've always wanted to go back in cooler weather. I love the fall, but also long to see the Christmas decorations.

My husband has been to NYC in winter on business and says I'd hate how cold it is. So, I'm wondering if there's a good in-between time to visit. Right now I'm thinking mid October or early November.

October would be great weather and the ice skating rink at Rockefeller goes up in mid October, but there won't be decorations. I don't know the date the tree goes up.

So, can someone suggest a better time to get the best of fall and Christmas? Maybe this doesn't exist. Maybe it's in November? Also, is the Halloween parade in the Village worth making sure I'm there on October 31? I love classical Halloween stuff (pumpkins, etc.) , but not so much gore and fright.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

November, close to Thanksgiving is usually not brutally cold and a relatively affordable time to go (hotel prices). Prices jump up after Thanksgiving though. Some Xmas decorations will be up just prior to Thanksgiving (but not the Rock Center tree)

Halloween coincides with the NY Marathon. That time period is VERY high demand. Prices are high and availability is already limited (not impossible, but some of the most popular options are sold out).

Mid-October is a beautiful time to go and weather could be wonderful. It's a fairly pricey time though.

I wouldn't let decorations be a major deciding factor in the times you choose. NYC has so much to offer without any extra bling :-D But if you really want to see Christmas decorations and have a healthy budget for expensive hotel prices, going in Mid Dec shouldn't be THAT cold. Just dress for it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

The skating rinks open up in October, and the Bryant Park holiday market opens around November 1st, but at the beginning it has more of an "autumn harvest" feel than a Christmas one. It doesn't begin to feel Christmasy until the days just before Thanksgiving, and the big outdoor trees are lit until the beginning of December. (The Rockefeller Center tree will be lit on Wednesday 12/4 this year).

We get peak autumn colors here in the first half of November, and often early December is still quite mild - cold enough for a coat, but not so cold that it's unpleasant to walk around outdoors. It rarely snows here that early.

So...if you come mid-October, the weather might be fairly warm still - can still get up to 70 then, but there's no predicting it - and you'll see the very beginnings of autumn color. If you come early November you'll get lots of autumn color and the Bryant Park market. The weather is usually still mild and pleasant then, but again there's no predicting it. Both times should have ice skating rinks (double-check for mid-October), but neither would feel Christmasy.

Here is last year's holiday thread with opening dates for the Christmas attractions and activities - since Thanksgiving is a day earlier this year, most dates should also shift by just a day, but few have been confirmed as of yet:

tripadvisor.com/…53972764

Whatever you decide, it should be lovely! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

Fall is a great time of year to visit for crisp but not cold weather but unfortunately, if you want to see Christmas decorations you will have to come in December. The tree is brought into the city towards the end of November but is covered in scaffolding while being decorated until being lit the first week of December. Department store window decorations start going up before Thanksgiving.

Halloween is a great time to visit, though expensive and busy as the previous poster said as it coincides with the Marathon so you should book ASAP if you're leaning that way. The parade is a blast but I don't think I'd call it "classical Halloween" decor! ;)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

I would also come for the Halloween/Marathon weekend(this year.)

2 great NYC events. Sometimes is it very chilly and sometimes not so much.

As stated, book ASAP as it is expensive during that time. I would look to fly in on the Wed/Thursday and leave the following Monday/Tuesday.

United States
Level Contributor
492 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

Thanks for all the responses!

Is it worth it to be there for the Rockefeller Tree Lighting on December 3? Or will it just be a crowded crazy time, better to see it later? (I looked it up and found the dates this time. Tried a few weeks ago and couldn't find it)

rockefellercenter.com/events/…

I know I have to decide between fall or Christmas time. I've been looking around at hotel prices, and you're right, mid-October is pricey! First week of December didn't seem too bad.

I have three free nights, so it's not a big concern, but I'll probably add a couple nights I have to pay for too.

Also, thanks for the head's up about the marathon. I didn't know it was falling so close to Halloween.

Some things I want to do:

Walk across Brooklyn Bridge and explore Brooklyn

Go up Empire State (saw Top or Rock last time)

See the ice skating rink at Rockefeller

See museum of modern art (saw Guggenheim and MET last time)

Would love to see an opera too

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

New York City is magical with Christmas starting the week after Thanksgiving.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

The tree lighting ceremony is super crowded. Unless you secure your place hours in advance, you won't see much. Better to see the tree all lit up and lovely in the days that follow! :)

United States
Level Contributor
492 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

Thanks again for all the replies. It's a tough choice. October, November or December...

United States
Level Contributor
492 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

So, I'm leaning toward the first week of December. I'm trying to decide if seeing the Christmas decorations, including the Rockefeller tree, is worth braving the colder weather.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,151 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a slight overlap between Fall and Christmas in NYC?

If you go around Thanksgiving, be sure to check out the Angel Tree at the Met Museum. It's a large artificial tree covered in Baroque era angel ornaments & at the base of the tree is a creche at the front & an entire village (made in the same era) surrounding the rest of the tree with soft Baroque music playing & it's indoors. Some also recommend the origami tree at the Museum of Natural History.