We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

Hi all,

I am in early stage of planning a trip to northeast. We are traveling to Niagara Falls in late September with my elderly parents. We will be spending 2 days at Falls and have a plan to fly either to NYC or Washington DC for one day. We are restricted with options since we can not make long walking trips. So I am trying to figure out the best plan with less walking, yet covering most major attraction in either city.

If decided to visit NYC, we will be arriving at Laguardia airport and will have full 1.5 days to visit NYC. If I go with DC, we will be arriving at Dulles airport and will have the same 1.5 days to visit DC.

My plan is to stay closer to the airport. I would prefer to rent a car, yet it seems not a wise option for either city. Hope we can manage with the public transportation to get in to the city.

I'd love suggestions of what city to choose, how to plan the trip thereafter and in which order to visit the major attractions (with less walking), what are the must visit places?

Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...!!!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

You cannot cover most major attractions in a day and a half, especially in NYC. I think the best approach would be to look at your options in each city and decide which is most appealing to your particular interests and can be practical for your family.

The Top Questions section has an entry with ideas about what are the "must see" attractions, but your personal preferences will play a big role in what you prioritize.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

DC is definitely a better choice if your parents cannot walk well. There is parking available most places in DC, although it can be a little tricky and you may have to get a garage. New York is very difficult if you cannot walk well.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

also, in either place staying near the airport is a bad idea. Dulles is far from DC itself and none of the NC airports are convenient to the areas you will want to visit.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

Why don't you just rent a car and stay around Niagara Falls? Niagara on the Lake, Toronto, gosh I could even make a day of Buffalo. There's quite a few historical/scenic/sightseeing things in all those areas.

One day in either NY or DC just won't do either justice, especially when you add in flying to/from.

Come back to NY or DC when you have more time.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

The last time I was in DC, they had a mall loop bus that visitors might find convenient for the various museums and sights in that area. I believe there are also night tours to see the illuminated monuments.

DC
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

The Mall area Circulator bus was discontinued a few years ago. I think that DC may be easier for your situation. You might want to consider one of the hop on-hop off bus tours.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

I think either one would be extremely strenuous, but DC is a bit more car-friendly, and the subway system was built in the late 1970s, early 1980s .... so it is much more accessible. I live in the city with the oldest subway in the US, so this is in no way a knock on NY, just different construction times means different standards.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

Neither sounds like a good option for such a short time and for walking limitations.

I also like the idea of sating in the Niagara Falls area for the extra day.5.

9. Re: What city to choose, New York or Washington DC for day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 07:16