We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC with kids...need some help.

Jonesboro, Indiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC with kids...need some help.

I will be traveling to NYC next summer from Indiana with 4 kids ranging in age from 5 to 15. I need some suggestions for itineraries...suggestions on where to stay. We will be driving...stopping to see Niagra falls and then on to NYC. Total trip time about 7 days. We have been to Niagra before so we will not want to spend tons of time there. Also, good stopping points along the way between Niagra Falls and Nyc. The best way to get around the city while we are there to see all the sites? Thought about flying one way to NYC...taking cab vans or other transportation in the city then renting a mini van for the way home and stopping at Niagra along the way. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

Kim, look to the right under Top Questions about New York City. There are trip reports from families with young children and/or teens. You'll get lots of ideas.

Where to stay? How many beds and how much do you want to spend?

Edited: 19 August 2014, 03:53
Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

The best way to get around the city is walking and public transportation (that is, subway and public bus.)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

You could either stop at the Finger Lakes or in the Lancaster PA area for a taste of Amish/Mennonite life. If you go to the Finger Lakes, I highly recommend a stop at the Corning Glass Museum. They have what they call a "Hot Glass Show" which is entertaining & an interactive play area for the kids.

4. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 19:11
5. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 11:05
Jonesboro, Indiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

Not too worried about the cost of the hotel. We would probably need a suite. Preferrably close to several attractions..with a great pool area for the kids. When you say public transportation/ bus......are the hop on/ hop off city tours a good way to go or no? Also, are the subways safe? Are there any areas that we should definitely avoid staying for safety reasons? Thanks for all your replies!!!! What town near finger lakes is the best? :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

You should really set a budget for your accommodations, when you see actual prices, they might come as a sticker shock. Rates also vary, drastically, on a day to day basis so plotting you trip around that helps. Subways are very safe as is the city. HoHo buses are great or an overview but terrible as a means of efficient transportation.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

I will let others give you advice for New York City, but two other possible stopping points would be Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame if you have baseball fans (it is also a very cute little town), and Howes Caverns, although it will change your route a bit from the Finger Lakes/Corning Route.

If you go by way of Binghamton and Pennsylvania, there is a Great Wolfs Lodge (indoor waterpark resort) on the way in the Poconos, and my kids really enjoyed Bushkill Falls, which is not too far down the road.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

You will definitely limit your choice of hotels if you need a pool for the kids. They are few and far between in NYC. Its also far too early to see good prices for hotels. I would wait until Christmas to start looking for hotel rates.

Parking a car in the city will also be quite expensive. The subway is absolutely the cheapest and quickest way to move around the city. HOHO buses are good for one loop overview then subway/walking is the way to go.

I have driven the Niagara Falls to NYC route....loonngg drive about 8 hours. If youve already been to the falls I would just do NYC. The city is such an incredible experience that I wouldnt waste a moment anywhere else!

Edited: 20 August 2014, 14:34
ohio
Level Contributor
248 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC with kids...need some help.

We just returned from our first visit to NYC with our 9yr old daughter. We stayed in the midtown area and either walked or used the subway to get around. We always felt very safe, even at night. And I'm from a small town in southern Ohio!