We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

NOBLESVILLE
Level Contributor
97 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

We will be driving from Hershey PA for a day in New York. Our top things to see are Central Park (some piece of it) and the American Girl store. I don't really want to drive or park in the city. Is parking in short term parking at Newark and taking the train in an ok option?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

It would work, but it's probably not the most cost effective option. If you drive a bit farther and park at the Secaucus Junction train station (info on the station is available at njtransit.com), you'll pay less for parking and the train ride into Manhattan will be significantly cheaper as well.

Which option to choose may be determined by when you're planning to make this trip (what day of the week, what time of day will you be arriving, etc.), because parking lots and garages can fill up at times.

NOBLESVILLE
Level Contributor
97 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

Thank you for the feedback. It will be around noon on a Thursday.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

On weekdays, some of the NJ Transit stations fill up early (i.e., during morning rush). I'm not sure whether this is a problem at Secaucus; maybe someone with recent experience can comment.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

Im not so sure you want to do this on a day trip

I once did a day trip to Hershey Park from NYC and I was totally beat and have vowed never to do again

USA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

You arrive on a Thursday at noon, when are you leaving? That is a long day trip and I personally would start much earlier so that you could arrive in NYC by 9:00 am or so. The issue with that is it will put you into rush hour.

Any reason you don't want to drive and park in NYC? I think with the amount of driving you're doing, parking and getting on a train, etc. seems like a lot. If it was me, I would arrive in NYC around 10:00 am and park somewhere near to where you want to explore in Central Park. After Central Park you can walk down 5th Ave, etc.

Here is the Central Park calendar, take a look and see if anything interests you. Some things are free, some are a small fee. Might be a good way to spend a short amount of time:

http://www.centralparknyc.org/events/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

My current love of NYC was rekindled after a long gap by a day trip in August of 2010. Me and some friends were staying in Parsippany and took a bus into the city. We were only there from around 10-5 or so but covered LOTS of ground. If you target just a few places you'll have plenty of time.

I personally wouldn't want to drive into the city, I'd find the best parking lot via NYTransit's site and train in like you are already thinking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

I don't think you realize how far Hershey is. It's further from NYC than Philadelphia. Newark airport is an hour from Manhattan and parking there is not cheap nor is the train trip. I would look into whether you can park in Philadelphia and take a train or bus from there to eliminate some of the driving. If you're determined to drive most of the way, parking at Secaucus Junction or a garage in Jersey City near a PATH train or the Port Imperial Ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ are your bets.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,770 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

thank you, Whiz!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

WELCOME BACK!!!! :) :)

(That's to nywhiz and WEQueen)

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Newark airport a bad place to park for a day trip to NYC?

I hope you realize that going from Hershey to NYC is like driving from Noblesville to Columbus. One way, maybe, but round trip in one day will be really exhausting, especially since NYC traffic (makes Chicago seem quiet), is unbelievable for those last 25 miles.