We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
522 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

Hi All,

Just seen this on the Las Vegas forum and thought it would be worth sharing!!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28843968

it looks like the Volcano in Iceland that caused so much disruption in 2010 is likely to erupt again soon, as everyone that was effected by the ash clouds in 2010 will tell you this could potentially cause major disruption due to flight restrictions etc

I will be absolutely gutted if this is the case as I've booked a surprise visit to New York for my Wife and I in Oct and we are flying with Icelandair with a stop off at Reykjavik so if anything was to come about i would most certainly be screwed!!

Here's hoping it never happens or its long gone before then!

Lets hope for all our sakes that travel plans would be interrupted.

Mark

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

Hi,

Hopefully Bárðarbunga will not interupt your travel plans. I must correct you a little bit though - it is not the same volcano as 4 years ago, then it was Eyjafjallajökull and now we have Bárðarbunga. It is located more to the north and east from where Eyjafjallajökull is.

If you are interested you can read local news about it in english here: http://www.mbl.is/frettir/knippi/3305/

It is anticipated that this eruption, if it will take place, will not have as much effect on the air traffic as the eruption in 2010. The aviation knows much more now and they have agreed that they grounded too much air traffic in 2010.

I am booked with Icelandair to NY in september so I am crossing my fingers too :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
522 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

Ah sorry, didn't realise i had said it was the same volcano!!!

hopefully it wont cause to much interruption it it does go, i remember panicking as the flights were getting cancelling in 2010 and my holiday to Cancun was coming up, nothing worse than waiting months for your holiday to come up and then something like that happened!!

3. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 03:35
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

I had two trips to the UK, two years in a row, trashed my Icelandic volcanos erupting. My friends think it is hilarious and try to not book travel when I do.

I actually think it is a sign that I need to visit Iceland.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

It must be our karma in Quebec because my friends say exactly the same thing about me. I was stuck in NY during Hurricane Sandy, I missed 3 days of work because of it and I was also stuck in NY at the beginning of January because of Hercules. I was supposed to fly to Bermuda but it was pushed back 3 days. Since I was not working, it was okay because my hotel there pushed back my reservation without any problem. We must have a certain karma bogwoppit:)

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

Oh CriCri that is too bizarre. We should trade travel plans and see what happens.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

That would be funny to see the outcome....maybe we are the source of all the meteorological problems in the world between the two of us...haha...When I was younger, I used to rent a "chalet" in the Laurentians in summer time and also had troubles. I once had a record for the coldest day in July where it was almost freezing temperature when I was on vacation!!

I will be going to NY at the beginning of January for sure!

By the way, at the beginning of the summer I was in Riviera Maya and flew out of Cancun on July 4th to NY. The day before on July 3rd, Hurricane Arthur caused all the flights to be cancelled from Cancun to NY so it was pretty crazy at the gates with flights to NY! For once I was okay!!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

I think you might be right. I do have natural disasters follow me around as well.

Hurricane Katrina hit the week after I was in NOLA. Flew home in record cold temperatures, plane had to turn back at Cincinnati due to the cold in fact.

Maybe we should blog about when we are going away so that everyone else can stay home.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

and, if Im schedule to fly anytime between December and April 15, there is likely to be a blizzard. I bring snow.

On a serious note, I hope the meteorologists are wrong and the people of Iceland aren't covered in ash again - it's not always about our travel plans!

SuitcaseReady.com

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Iceland Volcano eruption "imminent"?!

Follow @subglacial on twitter. He is a scientist/volcanologist on the scene tweeting lots of professional opinion and analysis. What the press have been saying today is worst case scenario stuff.

I fly to JFK next week so fingers crossed