We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

We're a couple in our 40s coming to NYC without the kids in September to celebrate my 40th. We have some bars in mind (from our research so far) but would like your opinions and any other suggestions please. Looking for places which serve good cocktails and maybe wine by the glass with a buzzing atmosphere.

Fri afternoon - The Loopy Doopy Bar in Conrad Hotel (will be in Financial District)

Fri night - The Campbell Apartment Bar (near restaurant we have booked and our hotel)

Sat night - Top of the Standard and Plunge at Ganesvoort (hoping to eat at Little Owl)

Sun night - Mr H at the Mondrian and Please Don't Tell (hoping to eat at La Esquina)

Mon night - Waldorf Astoria bar (after show at Radio City Music Hall)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

The only one I seriously question is the Waldorf. It's not that close to Radio City and imo the nicest drink experience at the Waldorf is before dinner drinks in Peacock Alley when they have a live pianist. For after Radio City, you might consider a nearer bar with a view. The. Viceroy hotel is supposed to be nice. I havent been yet but sounds nice. The Carnegie Club is more old NYC near Radio City (but it,s also a cigar bar). The bar at the Plaza hotel or King Cole Bar atthe St. Regis are other lassic NYC bars nearer Radio City.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

I'm hearing good things about the Dead Rabbit in the Financial District, but I haven't been there myself, yet.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

Rock Center Cafe Summer Garden & Bar if it's still open, not buzzing but a good vibe and good place for lunch or a drink; Oak Bar, fairly sedate but classic; PJ Clarke's pub @ 3rd & 55th definite buzz.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

It makes no sense to have drinks at both the Gansevoort and Top of the Standard. TOTS is nicer, try that first. If they don't let you in, then go to Gansevoort.

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

Thank you so much for your recommendations. We'll look at the bars you have suggested as it's great to have personal experience. Thanks also for the tip re TOTS and Gansevoort - we'll take your advice. Are there any other bars in that area we should try?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

The Park, Brass Monkey, Gaslight,

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

PDT is still hugely in demand, and brilliant. If you enjoy cocktails and high end 'Speak Easy's' then you might also like Milk & Honey

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

Dead Rabbit was voted one of the best bar in the world.

worlds50bestbars.com/fifty-best-bars-list/…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

I'm usually not an avid fan of industry awards, as they can be swayed considerably by sponsors. BUT, World's 50 is actually really high integrity, and the voting is considered as 'pure' as it can get. A couple of misses (subjective), on the one whole, their lists are pretty much on the money.

Nice one IDW

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar Recommendations in Manhattan please

Fantastic. I'll have a look at all of those. Thank you for all your help.